Hallux valgus (bunion) surgery in athletes

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am a 30-year old professional football player. I have a large bunion on my left foot ( so large that I am forced to use split-size shoes). In my case, surgery seems to be the only solution. To what degree will my performance be affected by the operation? Suggestions and personal stories from athletes who underwent bunion surgery would be greatly helpful to me. Thanks.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm a 53yr.old active Stylist and Salon owener .I've had both feet done .The first surgery for H.V.was done Oct.11th .I had a hammer toe ,Bunion ,and a bone spur removed plus Hypercure stent in my Ancles. The surgery is well worth it but at times I thought did a really want this?The answer is YES my first foot is healing really nicely I'm walking on it and my Ancle is corrected due to the Hypercure. Witch by the way most insurance don't pay for .But they should. I had left foot done Nov.29th Same problems on both feet along with Hypercure that straightens and lifts your Ancles from failing inward or outward. Mine were inward this whole surgery is changing my life in s good way..Know more pain on right foot the tissue is still healing and can take up to a year for all swelling to go done.As far as being athletic 8 to 10 weeks for foot.to feel normal again .Take it Slow don't rush it.Witch has been hard for me due to work and worrying over money and not being able to stand on my feet for hours at a time.I have no pins or screws left in my foot .Doctor is removing my pin on left foot today. My Doctor beleives leaving in pins and screws causes problems sooner or later by screws backing out pins burning or hurting.Then you have to go back in have them surgically removed. So glad No hardware except Hypercure stents in my Ancles. I wish everyone on here the best of luck. If you have the means of support behind you to get this done GO FOR IT,!!Btw the first two weeks hurt.Very painful but im making it!!I'm off to Doctor for pin removal .I'm on the road to pain free feet..And hopefully can wear some cute boots soon yay!!Plan on 10 weeks if you stand on your feet at work .Less if your office and sitting down..To the athlete run like the win after you have this done but it does take time out of your life but sooo worth it!!!

• Posted

Do you live in the US? If so, who was your surgeon? I don't know how to send a private message on here but I need help on this issue

• Posted

Hello, I live in the UK. My surgery went fine. It was performed by an experienced orthopaedic surgeon (MD) specialized in foot and ankle surgery. He was dead set against the so-called "minimally invasive" surgeries to fix this kind of deformity. Where in the US do you live ?

• Posted

Close to Cincinnati, Oh but I would travel to get a good doctor for my son
    • Posted

I will send you a private message. All the best.
  • Posted

Hi Robie,

I live in London & I am interested into the surgery you had done.

I have problems with Bunion in both feet & I am scared stiff!

Can I have the name & details of your surgeon please.

Many Thanks

• Posted

Hi Abdallah,

thank you for your question. Links are not allowed in this forum, so I will send you a private message.

Robie.

• Posted

Robbie

Not sure if you are still on here. I wanted to know how you are doing? I had an osteotomy and chelectomy of my left big toe about 15 months ago and the pain now is worse. I am a professional coach of soccer and the pain now is making me consider the option of fusing. I have read about Leyton Hewitt, but have also heard that the funtionality will be effected. How did it effect you. I am in constant pain and i cant really demonstrate on my left side any more. The thought of kicking the ball with my left foot is off putting, and if i catch it wrong... oooch

• Posted

Hello, Paul:

what was your problem ? Hallux valgus or hallux rigidus ? You mentioned cheilectomy, which, as far as I know, is a procedure performed for hallux rigidus...My problem was hallux valgus, not hallux rigidus, with only a moderate degree of osteoarthritis due to the deformity. My surgery was performed by a very experienced orthopaedic surgeon (MD) specialized in foot and ankle surgery. He choose a technique called "Distal soft tissue realignement + basal osteotomy of the first metatarsal". Surgery went fine. I had to wear a surgical shoe for about 2 months. After 6 months I was ninety nine percent back to normal mobility: I could play tennis, started jogging  and cycling. It took me 1 whole year to return to play soccer and, despite a minor loss of dorsiflexion of the big toe, my athletic performance was not significantly  impaired by the surgery. Everything considered, I am very pleased with the outcome.

• Posted

Hi.... just reading your helpful posts.   Am a tennis player (competitive but just for club) but gym and activities essential to me- as is my work .    Heading towards fusion for right foot and bunion left.  Alarming thoughts of being off my feet for months and how to manage work.   Am prob using a consultant in Nottingham but please cd you advise me details of your consultant.     Any other advice?  Thanks and hope you well.
  • Posted

So I play soccer as well but have no pain... thinking of delaying it until I'm older. Did you ever go through with it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.