Hallux Valgus & Hammer Toe Surgery Gone Wrong

Posted , 36 users are following.

I may be in the minority as I have searched various sites and yet to find anyone with the problems I have neutral

On 28th August 2013 I had both feet operated on. The left foot bunion removed and big toe straightened (this foot wasn't causing problems but surgeon did it as a precaution)

Right foot bunion removed and big toe straightened. 2nd toe straightened with K wire. 3rd toe, bone (knuckle) removed and toe straightened with K wire.

Both feet were in casts for initial 2wks, I was told to put no weight on them and keep them elevated. I lived in my bedroom. Anytime I tried to stand (To go to toilet) the pain was so bad I felt every bone was breaking in my feet!

After 2wks, casts came off and stitches removed I was pleased with the look of my toes, everyone straight! New casts went on....for another 4wks.

When these were removed I was told I cld leave...no x-rays....no follow up appt?!

I questioned this and mentioned that my toes seemed to be drifting back. I was told I was being impatient and I was only half way through recovery! I went home confused and frustrated. I couldn't understand why after breaking 4 toes, removing bones and placing pins an x-ray would not be taken? And why no follow up after such a big op?

After 12 wks (so called recovery time)I called to make an appointment to see the surgeon as I was having alot of pain and struggling to walk. My toes were overlapping again and putting shoes on was difficult. 2nd toe lacked feeling and seemed to be floppy.

When he saw me his reaction was to sigh and imply I was some kind of hypochondriac evil again I was told I was impatient! and when I explained that my big toe won't go down and I can't move it he said I wasn't even trying! I was told I would be off work for 12wks, my job has me walking for 6.5hrs a day, I explained there is no way I cld go back to my work as I struggle to walk or even stand for any period of time, he said his 'normal' patients are bk to work by this time!

I told him his attitude towards me was not acceptable and I wanted a 2nd opinion. His tone then changed, I was sent for an x-ray and I am now awaiting an appointment.

My right foot is worse than before, My toes are badly overlapping and bent. I am still not able to work and feel really depressed. Worrying if I will need more surgery (which I think I will) and whether I am always going to have these problems, Seriously thinking of taking my complaint further sad

4 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Blimey that sounds awful. I think I would def take it further, iv been very lucky my surgeon has been great. I'm spending next 2 weeks being weaned off crutches and tomorrow is first attempt at wearing a trainer- won't lie bit scared. Iv had very minimal pain but my surgery nowhere near as bad as yours. Since my first consultation iv had 5 x rays!! Was strange seeing my last one all straight with screws holding it all together.

By the time I go back to work in couple weeks it will be 10 weeks post op.

I hope you get sorted and any further surgery won't be to bad for you and yr next consultant is better than you have had to put up with.

X

• Posted

My consultant's manner has been very off hand/ubrupt and don't think he likes the fact that I am questioning my results. When I describe the pain I am in when wearing shoes or walking short distances he tells me I should not be in pain and his other patients are back to work. He makes me feel as though I am attention seeking and that there is nothing wrong.

I explained to him I have a very high pain threshold. I have recovered from throat cancer where I have had 16 operations in my neck and radiotherapy! So I am quite capable of overcoming problems, but I have NEVER been made to feel the way he has made me feel.

I would have thought an x-ray after such surgery would be common place as this would show if the pins & bones are aligned properly? The fact you have had 5 tells me your consultant is keeping an eye on his work. I was told to be patient, but my toes aren't going to jump back into place. Even a non medical person can tell by looking at them that something is wrong. He won't admit it sad

I have an appointment with him on the 6th Jan, but my appointment to see the 2nd consultant is not until 11th Feb (this was supposed to be other way round) but I will go on the 6th to see if his attitude is any different and to let him see how deformed my foot is. I will also ask to look at the x-ray. In the meantime I will have to see my GP for a further sick line as I know I will not be able to return to my job any time soon sad

• Posted

Hi Tracey just wodering how everything is going?im in a similar situation .
  • Posted

Hi Tracey, I have only had normal bunion surgery, nothing as severe as you, but I was given a written sheet explaining the procedure, which clearly says that at 6 weeks they take an X-Ray to ensure that the bone has set correctly. I already have the appoint for the X-Ray, and for a consultation with the surgeon who did the operation afterwards.

I really feel for you, it sounds awful, & I know from experience before my surgery how pain in your feet is unlike pain elsewhere, you simply cannot walk on them if the pain is severe.

If surgery results in your problems being as bad or worse than before, then there definitely is a problem.

Poor you......

• Posted

Couldn't agree more. I to was given a sheet explaining what was happening and various stages and had appointments for the first 2 follow up and X-rats before I even left the hospital after surgery.

Where abouts do you live I'm in Bedfordshire and my treatment I can not fault. After my appointment with my consultant last week he said any unusual pain or if I'm at all worried or concerned about foot I'm to ring straight away and make appointment to see him. My final routine appointment is in 3 months

• Posted

Thanks Sue, well that is interesting about your x-ray at 6 wks. I asked about it at this time when they took my second casts off and I was told there was no need! Then sent on my way with no follow up, basically "get on with it" even at this time I could tell something wasn't right and the toes were turning in the way and starting to overlap (an x-ray would have answered any queries).

I am at 18wks post op now and day to day activities/routines have changed as everything revolves around what shoes are the least painful? How quickly can I get round the shops? etc

I am certainly not one for "lying down to it and feeling sorry for myself" as my previous illness/recovery prooves and I will not be fobbed off! He has made a mistake and won't acknowledge it and yet I'm supposed to deal with it.

I think I will be making some legal enquiries sad

• Posted

Hi Connie, I live in Central Scotland and must say the differences in treatment seems huge! I have had a terrible time over Christmas as I couldn't enjoy the build up, all my presents were bought on line as the thought of trudging around shops was unimagineable. Also any nights out were put off as a simple thing like choosing an outfit made me cry as no footwear was going to be comfortable
  • Posted

That's awful really must be some action you can take and having to wait such a long time for appointment with 2nd consultant seems ridiculous.

Iv had some really down days at the start and like you had to do a lot of online shopping but then only had mine done beginning November hopefully by week 12 I be almost back to normal.

The difference in care seems huge my consultant has been great even when I changed my mind at 11th hour about Anthestic he said my care was paramount and I should be happy with the care I receive! Disgusting yrs has been so bad xx

• Posted

The routine has been the same for both my feet, fairly complicated operations but only big toe and bunion affected. I have had xrays at 10 days and again at 6 weeks, just coming up to the 6 week one on the second foot. I am in Hampshire. Everyone seems to be on the same follow-up Xray schedule with my surgeon.

I am sorry to hear about your problems but it definately doesn't seem right, does your GP have a view?

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

Sorry to hear about your terrible experience. I had my complicated surgery on 13th of December and had a plaster of Paris cast fitted. An Xray was taken after the surgery to show what was done to my foot. I had the plaster of Paris cast replaced 4 days later by a fibreglass cast and to check that the stitching are all ok. Another Xray was taken before the new cast was fitted. The cast will be replaced again on the 14th of January and left for another 4 weeks. I guess my consultant will take another Xray then. He also discusses how the Xray and my foot is progressing. I went private through BUPA, so I don't know if it makes a difference. My consultant also works for the NHS and in the hospital I work at, so maybe communication and care is better. I work at West Middlesex Hospital.

Good luck with your next appointment and keep us informed of your progress.

• Posted

I am 8 weeks post op and still having major swelling. Does anyone have any good tips on getting the swelling down?

• Posted

using ice on your heel will help but not too often or you may get chill blains like me

• Posted

Hi swapping from hot and cold compress helps with the swelling. I'm at 8 weeks as well and my foot is puffy rather than swollen aparantly it's normal my consultant assures me
  • Posted

Thank you Connie. I will try that

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your comments, I appreciate them because even though I know personally that I have had very poor treatment, your comments just confirm it. I am glad I took photos at each stage. The night before surgery, when the 1st casts came off, again when 2nd casts came off, and again at 12wks when I called to ask to see surgeon again. I took another today, and when I go to see him on the 6th I will have them printed out and place them on his desk!!

I said to him that I know sometimes surgery can have problems, and obviously something has went wrong here.......he asked me when I got my medical degree!!

Could I ask if any of you still have the after care sheet from the hospital could you e-mail me a copy?

thanks

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not post these. If users wish to swap email addresses please use the message service.

• Posted

Hi there , just came across your post which is a bit out of date I do hope that you have by now resolved  the problem  you were experiencing  and are pain free if not (and I do hope its not the case) I can  recommend someone 

• Posted

Hi Lilian, the post which you replied to was 9 months ago, unfortunately I had to undergo further surgery with a different consultant to try and repair the damage which was caused by the first one rolleyes

This hasn't helped and I am still unable to wear a shoe and in pain every day x

• Posted

Oh, Tracey, my heart truly goes out to you, but please dont give up! I can only imagine what it must be like for you.

I personaly know of a guy who had an accident and whose foot was completely shattered but affter a 4 surgical procedures he is finally pain free.neutral He almost gave up, but was glad he didnt in the end. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.