Hallux Valgus opp - few questions I have :-)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, 

I had surgery on my big toe last Thursday known as Hallux Valgus where they straighten the big toe and fix it with a screw. I went back to hospital 5 days later to get my bandages took off and a toe splint put on, so for my experience of pain is pretty good! which i am very pleased about and will not hesitate to get my left foot done smile

I am due to get my stitches took out in 6 days and was wondering if you will be able to help me with a few of questions I have. 

1 - will getting the stitches removed hurt? 

2 - once the stitches are removed will be able to start putting more pressure on my toe to regain walking normally again 

And the last questions - my surgon recommened I could not drive for 6 weeks and I have done reseach around and people are saying different. Does anyone know when I will be able to drive again? 

Thank you in advance. 

Becca

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Seriously - every procedure is different, and so is the recovery .  What the doctors tell you is the "norm". You may do better or worse depending on a host of factors.  

As for the stitches, it seems to generally depend on the type of stitches used. Regular single point sutures (A stitch and a knot) are easy to remove unless they are left longer than 14 days - at which point some peoples healing process is causing the skin to close in around the suture thread which requires a bit of a tug, either way, quite painless or only mildly uncomfortable for about 3 minutes by any half way capable nurse or doctor. Running stitches (think a hem stitch where the whole thread is one piece through your skin down the entire incision) is another story. Anecdotal evidence is that nurses are less skilled at removing them, and they're more painful to have removed. If you can tell which kind you have, and your doc used a running stitch, you might want to take a pain killer about 20 minutes ahead of time.

Once the stitches are removed, you should give the incision time to fully scab over, heal, and for the scab to be ready to flake off. This seems to vary. It was ten days for the whole thing to scab and flake for me.  I still don't feel comfortable soaking and scrubbing the foot until my incision color fades to a less dark red. Other people have had shorter times, but rushing it can result in infections, antibiotics, etc.  

Much though you may want to be done with it all, PIE is still the rule. Patience. Ice. Elevation.

• Posted

Thank you that's very helpful - if you have any more tips or advice with the recovery process please do comment and let me know smile

Thanks again! 

• Posted

Rebecca...I have been told the same for driving, but at 3 weeks post op I can't even imagine putting any pressure on my new little straight foot. Patience is something new for me too........mine is my left foot but we have a Manuel car. Last night my daughters lift to her music lesson couldn't come and I nearly had to cancel the lesson. In the end I put an urgent message on Facebook and another friend helped me out. It is incredibly hard being so dependant on other people.
  • Posted

Rebecca there are lots of different conversations going on this topic....it is definitely worthwhile reading them all...it has really helped me a lot.
  • Posted

Rebecca there are lots of different conversations going on this topic....it is definitely worthwhile reading them all...it has really helped me a lot.
    • Posted

Thank you! this has been very helpful - I did have the stitches took out yesterday and have being able to wash my foot today so feeling a lot better & I'm not using my cruches anymore which is good :-)

Thanks again 

Ps - sorry for the late reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.