Hallux Varus, is the surgeon to blame?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey all! Some might remember my post from 2 weeks ago asking about this (before I even knew the name of this defect).

Anyway, I had my correction surgery Monday and unfortunately had to get my joint fused.

Since this is the first bunion I had fixed, I'm wondering if the surgeon is to blame here, and if maybe I should seek a different one? I live in Canada so seeing a different one can take months and I don't want to wait unless I need to.

Some backstory: Had 1st metatarsal osteotomy ("boat" is written on my surgical consent form) on Jan 27th. I did 6 weeks non weight bearing and had an x-ray at my 6 week follow-up where my surgeon gave me the go ahead to start walking again. 6 weeks later, still swollen and in pain, I went for my 12 week follow-up where I was told my toe was dislocated (hallux varus) and I'd need surgery again. I asked about my 6 week x-ray and he said there was a slight shift but he wasn't concerned at that point.

After my correction surgery, the surgeon said the fusion was required because my toe would not stay in place. When I asked if he knows what caused it yet (and asked if the wrap job after could have caused it, since I felt my toe was pulled over too far), he said it wouldn't be only that, and that my ligaments could be the issue.

I see him again on the 19th to get my stitches out and I'm going to ask him if this could happen with my other foot since he says my ligaments are to blame. I think if he knew this was his fault, he might not tell me? Sorry for the long post but I don't know who else to ask and feel my doctor might not be telling me the full story. He has mostly great reviews and is supposed to be the best orthopedic surgeon in the area.

thanks in advance for any advice.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

My surgeon did warn me that bunions can come back so I don't know if I have any case against him. I am quite gutted they have both come back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.