HALO operation yesterday.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I had the Halo surgery yesterday and thought it might be helpful to tell the story so far.

I woke up in a lot of pain following the op and was given paracetamol. I was told I'd already had a heavy dose of painkillers during the procedure and also local anaesthetic into my back passage. I had one area of pain, left side, 9 o'clock but also felt pain in my foot and in my penis and testicles. I assume this must mean swelling touching a nerve?

After dozing for 4 hours I was given laxatives and stool softeners, told I'd had 4 stitches and allowed home. The 12 mile drive home was endless and I felt every bump in the road.

On arriving home I got straight into the bath. I found I had a jelly plug in my butt, which came out with little effort. It was stained brown with old blood. My back passage feels totally different, like its not mine. I usually have a skin tag on the right side but that seems to be missing and replaced with one on the left instead. The 'hole' also seems much further set in than usual, like it's maybe gone back into its proper position. It is all very odd.

I had real trouble passing urine but that seems a little easier now. I have only passed wind once, which didn't hurt too much. I am absolutely terrified of pooping, the pain on the left is so bad I'm scared I'll pass out. I've bled for a few years after BM but the right if it today is very scary. Hopefully the laxatives and softeners will help.

Currently waiting for ibuprofen to kick in before I dare move too much.

Starting to wonder what I've gotten myself into.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had mine in September had a a lot of problems one thing make sure you eat roughage and fibre I had big problems ended up back in hospital twice in a lot of pain the problem was not going to the loo but I'm 11 weeks in still about 80%

• Posted

Day 2 post op and still no poop. Don't even have the urge despite having taken all the stool softeners and fibre supplements I've been given. Hurts to even sit on the loo to try. Wish I'd never bothered with this now.

• Posted

I had problems I'm pretty certain whilst I was in surgery I had a catheter I had burning but my surgeon said it wasn't to do with the surgery

• Posted

8 says since the op and today is the first day I actually feel human.

The constant pain of the thrombosed vein has eased tremendously over night, and despite bleeding worse today than since the op, I feel great.

I'm not sure how I can still be dripping blood after a bm if the beings have been stitched? Really hope it doesn't mean that the operation was a failure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.