Halo procedure in two weeks. Should I go through with it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.

I've lifted weights on and off for years and developed problems following a new weight lifting regime in 2016. After a couple of years of intermittent bleeding during BM since then, and a few lumps and bumps for over 20 years, I've been referred for Halo surgery.

The surgeon said I have 3 hems, at 5, 7 and 11 positions, and they're likely why I tend to bleed. It's not too much when I do, maybe 10 or 11 drops after the stool passes, but stops once I'm done. I think the bleeding comes from internal hems, while the lumps at 5 and 7 cause pain.

Thing is, as much as I've been through over the years, the swelling and pain when exercising and walking, the bleeding, the fear of the next poop - in worried about going ahead with the op. I don't know how much it will change, whether it will be painful, cause more problems than it solves?

The surgeon said because the stitches are made in an area with few pain receptors it will mean minimal discomfort, but the stories I read on here about lingering pain and problems are putting me off. I'm also fearful of what could go wrong in the surgery, like puncturing the bowel, not waking up from the anaesthetic or not actually being asleep when they do it.

Can anybody share any success stories, or anything that can give me some confidence to have it done? After all, a possible future with no bleeding, no lumps and bumps, and no fear of that next poop is almost too much to give up.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had the HALO procedure 2 years ago for grade 3 haemorrhoids. Minimal pain and I was back at work within 48 hours. The haemorrhoids have gone and not recurred. I was really pleased with the op. Can recommend it.

• Posted

I had it under a spinal as I was nervous about a GA also. It was fine. They can't perforate the bowel as it's only the anal canal they operate near.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

I feel a bit happier about the op having read your message. My main worries about the post op recovery is not necessarily pain but the risk of bleeding when back at work. Did you get any blood following your op?

I'm hoping to get this done and out of the way without many people realising what I'm having done, and without my kids realising I'm any different. I've told work I'm having something done relating to diverticulitis, and really hope I can get back to work following the week off sick the surgeon suggested without any issues. Would be a great Xmas gift for sure.

• Posted

Barely had any bleeding, even in the immediate post-operative period. It's natural to be nervous but it's improved my quality of life a lot

• Posted

Ottoman I'm the same boat I have to see a surgeon for my internal hems. Because I went to the ER this morning the doctor did a rectum check and she said that my internal hems are swollen and flaming that its up there but having came down. So she recommend me to make appointments with the surgeon. You are right reading other people article make me not want to do the surgery. Cause they go through so much pain. That's why I have putting my off surgery off. Myself don't like pain at all but wondering if I do it I want have no more discomfort BM. The good thing the doctor said when she check my rectum was she didn't see no bleeding. But she recommend for me to see a surgeon. So you are not alone with your decision about the surgery. A 100% with you about surgery.

• Posted

Hello

I'm trying to be positive about the op. The hems have caused pain on and off for years, and bleeding for a couple. It's scary to see. The op gives hope of a life without these things happening, and perhaps for a few days discomfort, which we're already suffering with.

Weigh up the pros and cons and see how you feel.

Good luck!

• Posted

Had a pre-op discussion today where they told me to prepare for 2 weeks of 'lots of pain'... Hopefully they're making me prepare for the worst while hoping it doesn't get that bad. 7 days of worry now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.