HALO RAR procedure

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

like a lot of people on this forum I've been suffering from hems for some years now. over the years they have temporarily responded to creams and increases in fibre and water but since Oct 2018 they have been prolapsing on BM and one rears its head occasionally while walking and running (which is not ideal for someone who usually runs 5 times a week). I've been unable to run since October in fear of making this worse, it's drove me crazy. so in October last year I had a meeting with the colorectal surgeon who banded there and then (that was a shock). fast forward to now and while the prolapsing has improved on all but one hem during BM, the constant awareness of it is too much to carry out the things I enjoy. To add, I am a 31yo male 186cm, 75kg and would say I'm pretty healthy all round. I think I caused my own issues over the years with not enough fibre and by squeezing one out before running sometimes. Hindsight!

OP DAY 29/01/19

today i have had examination under anaesthetic with all options open to the surgeon while I'm under. turns out he done HALO RAR on one 3rd degree and rebanded another two 2nd grade.

Feel sore upon waking up and am given oramorph in my dazed state. struggled to pee but did eventually even if not at full flow. Had local down there while under so not looking forward that wearing off. inspection of the area shows what looks like a huge hem which wasn't there before., they only ever came our during BM or strenuous activity. quite demoralised as it looks huge. hopefully it is swelling and will reduce.

not looking forward to the first post op BM but have been given lactulose to take.

if anyone has experience with this procedure including post op lumps that look like hems, please let me know.

thanks for reading...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am still struggling with my hems so not much advice to offer. Have you called your doctor to find out if what you are seeing is normal?Have you used any ice packs? I have horrible hems and I have been using ice quite a bit.

I hope you heal quickly and find the answers you need.

• Posted

update: 31/01/19

spoke to the surgeon about the swelling, suggested it could be hematoma and said to try and push it in and said it should settle down in a day or so. did this about 4 hours post op and iced the hell out of the area since. seems to have done the trick. Had first post op BM this morning which was uncomfortable and small but the throbbing pain afterwards was worse and lasted for 15 to 30 mins. Had another two BMs throughout the day with similar results. The worst part is the anticipation of a BM. Taking lactulose twice per day and my usual psyllium. stomach is cramping like hell and I think it's down to the lactulose. Don't know whether it's wind or a BM. Passed wind before then had to wipe away blood with a wipe. Oh prep h wipes are a must! pain is tolerable on ibuprofen and better when laying down. hopefully tomorrow will be better.

• Posted

Glad you called your surgeon. Even though I have not had my surgery yet, I have found out that ICE? is a must! I also have heard that the sitz bath after a BM works to relieve the pain as well.Sending you good thoughts and prayers for healing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.