HALO surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Interested to know others thoughts on this procedure. I've currently got internal thromobosed haemorrhoids which become external after BM. Taking strong laxatives to ensure easy movement. have a fissure and a skin tag. I feel as though my life is governed by this hideous pain/swelling/stinging. saw a Colerectal Surgeon last week who, incidentally I didnt really like, but he said he would never treat haemorrhoids and fissure at the same time and suggested we start with Diltiazem cream to treat fissure and follow up in four weeks. I have huge swelling after BM and am physically knackered with the ongoing pain and discomfort.

Has anyone out there had it severely and been cured?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

A fissure is hard to heal especially if it torn after healing , because the scar tissue is not as strong as fresh tissue, 1st go to different doctor your not liking him or her for a reason. From my experience the only cure was the fissurectomy/ Hemmerectomy. If your in alot of pain which I'm sure you are go see a dr. That knows what he or she is doing, creams are good for beginning stages of anal symptoms, but not for fissures, get the procedure done soon as possible so you dont have to live in pain and misery. Good Luck!

• Posted

Thank you. So good to hear you normalise it and, yes, gut instinct....have made an app with someone else. Just got to wait til March!

• Posted

Hi,

I had the HALO RAR procedure done on 1 grade 3 internal at the end of January. They gave me an enema and I was in/out within a few hours. That day i had a swelling on the site which was not there before the surgery but the surgeon said it was probably swelling/hematoma. Iced it constantly that day and it went away. Not sure if this is common or just me. Pain wasn't too crazy, at most probably 5/10 but definately uncomfortable and weird. I found the worst thing was anticipating the no2's every day and I've suffered some wicked spasms which make you jump 6 feet in the air. I'm 2 weeks post op now and still feel there's something not quite right down there but surgeon said it could be stitches and healing process. So far I've not had any recurrence of symptoms but I've been taking it very easy. I didn't have much bleeding, just on the BM itself. Once I'm back running and cycling, that will be the big test. Personally I feel if you can do a less invasive procedure like HALO RAR, then that's better. Yes, the slice job gets rid but it sounds like a rough recovery. If I need any further treatment, I will definitely try the HALO RAR again before the slice job.

Not had any experience of fissures, so can't offer anything there.

Oh and obviously, whatever you get done make it your top priority to keep things soft.

Best of luck, hope you get sorted soon...

• Posted

Good to hear.Please keep me posted re your recovery.

• Posted

123gone, easier said then done, hahahaha, hang in there it's a roller coaster ride for 6 to 8 weeks to get past the worst of it then day by day you get better, by 6 months your gonna be all healed and so happy that you made the rite decision, just remember hydration and eat rite. Good Luck!!

• Posted

Arok675 can you remind me what procedure(s) you had, describe how bad you were and....would you do it all again?

Thanks in advance.

Kay x

• Posted

It was a hemmerrectom/ spyncterectomy which consist of the removal of numerous internal hems and an insision of the spyncter so the anal fissure could heal probably, painful but well worth it, the pain of everyday living became to much to bare just got worst and worst over the years, so I had no choice but to have procedure done, was a rough road to heal up but been through worst things, Took about 6 months for full recovery but your able to function o.k. after the 1st month then its day by day of taking care of yourself before you feel 100% and if I had to do again I definitely would..

• Posted

Thank you! Just needed to hear something positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.