HALO surgery - how was it for me?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I researched this before going ahead and came across so many posts from people experiencing severe pain afterwards so wanted to post a more positive experience.

I’ve had occasional piles on and off for years (now aged 64) but most recently persistent category 3  pushed me into agreeing to HALO surgery as advised by NHS consultant.

My piles were never painful, just messy! 

The op seemed to go well. Did feel like I’d had a kick in the pants afterwards but only needed paracetamol and ibuprofen which I took for a week then reduced to zero after 10 days. Avoided using the codeine as I believe they cause constipation and that you do not want!

I eat a bowel-friendly diet generally, including daily fruit smoothies. However, I decided to take a low dose of laxative following the op to help smooth the flow. Again I was able to reduce this to zero after 10 days. 

So the the bad news? It took 48 hours for my first bowel movement after the op and it was excruciating! Avoided pushing but it did feel like I was passing the proverbial grapefruit! All over in 20 minutes with no significant pain later. My advice would be to dose up with more laxative immediately after the op but don’t overdo it. Might have made the first motion less painful.

Following bowel movements were much less painful and relatively normal within two weeks. I’d say only one further bowel movement was in any way significantly painful.

Now 6 weeks on everything is fine and dandy. I’m very pleased with the outcomes. I hope my experience gives folk thinking of having the HALO procedure some confidence that it does not have to lead to weeks of severe pain.

And remember, go with the flow, don’t push:-)

5 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

how long did the urgency to have multiple bowel movements last for you? im on day 12 of post halo procedure with mucopexy and its still very prevelant for me, slightly less but prevelant.

• Posted

Hi, just wondering when the urgency/increased bowel movements stopped for you? I'm on day 7 post HALO and the urgency/frequency seems to be increasing! TIA.

• Posted

Hi, just wondering when the urgency/increased bowel movements stopped for you? I'm on day 7 post HALO and the urgency/frequency seems to be increasing! TIA.

• Posted

I'm interested in this procedure for my huge stage 3 hemorrhoids but there's not any doctor's performing this HALO in Minnesota. I found a doctor in Wisconsin who is listed on the maker of the HALO sonar equipment and I'm going to call tomorrow. It's either this or the standard hemmoroidectomy and I'm already hyper sensitive to pain so I'm scared to death of the post surgery pain. It's just crippling me and my decision to move forward. I know I need to get this done because they're HUGE, getting worse, bleeding profusely, and getting harder and more painful to "push back in". Even my doctor today had a tough time pushing them back in during the exam. I'm soooooo scared. Never been worried about ANY surgery in the past but this particular surgery and the pain associated with it has me absolutely panicking. Thanks for posting your experience. I was mislead. I was under the impression this HALO was virtually pain free and "get it done Friday, back at work Monday".

OMG!!!! After reading posts on this website I'm really hyperventilating now.

• Posted

people seem to have different pain experiences. sounds like you really need to bite the proverbial bullet. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.