Halusiations and nightmares

Posted , 5 users are following.

My husband took 2mg of diazepan 3times a day for 20years for depression,he slept a lot and was at times very aggressive,however In august I went away for a week and during that time he decided to stop taking it cold turkey without telling his gp or me, (he's a very stubborn man) he's had flu like symptoms and lost 9lb in weight, the main problem now is at night he's having hallucinations and nightmares ,he's talking to an immaganary dog and pulling down curtains etc ,he won't go to the gp and I don't know what's best for him,Im thinking of suggesting he takes one tablet at night ,he refuses to see his doctor or talk about it .,,  help,

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nanny,

The usual thing to do is to taper down slowly after such a long time on diazepan.. His brain hasn't had a chance to catch up with the sudden withdrawal of the drug and so can't function..

I strongly suggest you google "the Aston's Manuel" which will give you a lot of information and how to proceed. He might want to read that as the control of what he does is still in his hands, not the doc.

It also gives the appropriate taper schedule for this drug.

He would need to reinstate his does time he levels out again and feels ok and then start the taper...it will be so much kinder to himself doing it this way.

Withdrawal isn't nice..

Hope this helps,

G

• Posted

Sorry, should have proof read before posting..

It should read..

He would need to reinstate his dose until he feels ok again and then start the taper

• Posted

There is no way you can go cold turkey with this medication without his gp.  He needs to cut down very slowly,  very very slowly over a period of 12 months even.

He needs guidance and he needs to realize reality,  patience and lots of understanding and love!

• Posted

Hi Nanny l have to say l am sure you are worried sick however if he won't see the doctor l don't know what to suggest.He is being very silly and causing himself and you a lot of distress.I think what I suggest is when he is hallucinating l would phone the out of hours doctor or take him to a and e.Hopefully he will see sense and get off the valium slowly with less distressing withdrawal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.