Hammer toe and bunion surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I had hammer toe and bunion surgery on April 27, 2016. Just over 1 month ago. My little toe my doctor cut some bone out and shaved my side of my foot just below my little toe he shave my bone and put 2 pins in an X position and should be absorbed by my body on 180 days or so. I was told I needed to stay off my feet and have it elevated and iced 2 months. He told me that if I wanted to have the surgery i could not be up no more than 1 hour per day. Just to go to restroom n eat. I have done that for 4 weeks. My foot is still swollen a bit. But looks like it's healing nicely. I could not shower for 3 weeks. He said my little toe bone takes 60 days to heal. He said whatever needs to be done someone else will have to do. My husband is home medically retired so he has been my nurse 24 hrs for the first week and half was tough. Now I feel much better but need another 3 1/2 weeks to go. At 4 weeks I can be up 1 1/2 hours a day now till I go back to the doctor June 10. Slow process but I'm hoping I will be able to walk and wear shoes without pain. Then I will have to do surgery on my other foot. My doctor would not do surgery on both of my feet at once. I'm glad I only did I foot. Because at least I can get up and shower with no help. I am constantly icing. My gradaughter has been getting and changing my ice packs which are frozen packages of vegetables are the best ice packs. I hope this helps anyone interested in having this surgery. I will post once I am released and update you on my recovery. Thx Yolanda

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yolanda

We're about at the same stage. I'm 4 weeks out of surgery (almost). I am non weight bearing for another 2 wks max so I'm on a knee walker. My doc didn't put say restrictions on me for time on my feet and he told me last week, I can ease up on the icing to 6 times a day and it looks great, he said. Still swollen and black and blue but he was pleased with my progress.

It's slow going, isn't it but, like you, I'm hopeful to wear shoes and walk without pain.

• Posted

Hi Joanne thanks for your response. I didn't even know about the knee walker. I do have the boot to wear. I hope goes well for you.
    • Posted

You may not even need a knee walker. I only need it because I can't put any weight on my operated foot. If this is the case for you, it's a lifesaver!

Some people go right into a boot. I guess it depends on the correction you require.

Thanks for the good wishes. I wish you well too.

• Posted

Hope your healing continues to go well. From myself and other operated folk have discovered is the healing process takes a lot longer than they say. Are you in England?
  • Posted

Hi Yolanda

I had bunion and 4 hammertoe surgery 14 weeks ago.  My foot is still very swollen and I can only walk short distances with a cane.  My problem is the big incision on my big toe is not healing.  It is still oozing..scabs, falls off and rescabs etc.  How is your incision at this point?  Is it healed?

• Posted

I'm incision is healing very good. But I have swelling and I an 5 1/2 weeks. I'm at only up 1 1/2 hours per day. I'm in bed with my foot elevated and icing continually. I wish you luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.