Hammer Toe and Bunion Surgery. Numbness in 4 Toes. 4 weeks Post Op tom.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i am 4 weeks Post Op tomorrow. I had Bunion Akin Surgery and Hammer Toe Surgery and 2 other Toes. I have so much numbness in all 4 toes. I know it may be due to the Incision site. Do not feel it when i go for my short walk to the Toilet. I am still in my Surgical Shoe. I get my Pin out next week. I guess most of you had numbness when you had your Surgery. How long did you get the Numbness for. I am still keeping my foot up at this stage. I still have my foot up on my Pillows. Look forward to hearing from any of you x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello

numbness is normal, I think it is because they disturb the nerves and also due to the trauma of the surgery your circulation is impacted.

My toes were also very cold a friend made me little toe covers from very soft material which was lovely.

Keep your foot up as much as you possibly can and although the pin removal doesn't hurt at all, expect some swelling and tenderness for a few days after. please try to stay off your feet as it definately will help.

take care and good luck with your recovery x

• Posted

Numbness is normal for me too....then as the toes got further from surgery I had a very annoying pins and needles feeling. I used to have to tap my foot all the time to wake it up! But that all went away with time.

I had my surgery in June and still have stiffness in the repaired big toe bunionectomy and the hammer toe correction. From what I have read some people like me need a full year to recover....I definitely have been slower than others hitting milestones. But am walking well but it is not normal as my knees were affected being off my feet for so long and with the boot.

Good luck!

• Posted

im 5weeks out from hammertoe surgery. i get that pins & needles feelings also. im struggling with my recovery. im really getting depressed and cant walk normal. is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

• Posted

Every case and every person is different. I had one hammertoe done in addition to the bunion. The pin in the hammertoe came out after 6 weeks and the toe was completely numb. I am now almost 4 months since surgery and there is still a bit of residual numbness in both the big toe and former hammertoe. Plus the former hammer toe is quite stiff. The big toe is still pretty stiff but not as much as the hammertoe. Good luck and lots of patience!!!!

• Posted

I had lapidus bunionectomy and mallet toe repair in Dec of 19. It is now a year later and I still experience numbness in both of those toes. Physical therapy has helped with the stiffness.

Just a heads up, pin removal was absolutely painless for me. I was pretty concerned but there was no pain. I worried about it a lot and for no reason!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.