Whilst having my chevron op I had the tendon cut to release my hammer

toe this worked to some degree but the toe is still noticeably bent. The

surgeon suggested massaging the base of the toe and stretching it,

anyone had to do this and did it work?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi missing

I am very interested in this. I had a hammer for 'done' at the same gem as my bunion chevron and Akins. This was almost 11 weeks ago. I have noticed that my toe is sticking up and seems to be a bit uncomfortable with a shoe. This did not seem to be the case when I first had it done. Perhaps cos the swelling around big toe is going down?  I have a pin in it so, in theory, it should not move! Will def try this and am interested in any other experiences. I am not going back to the hospital until mid Jan. Good luck with this and let me know if it helps

• Posted

Hi Karen

I'm have double chevron and akins on 23 January. How went your op? How long was it before you were back in normal shoes? So you still have swelling around the big toe? Wow. I thought the swelling would be gone by week 11. Is it a case of the swelling only returning by end of the day? I do hope so.

• Posted

Hi Bev. The operation went well. Much better than I anticipated. I was pretty scared but pain was easy to control by taking regular medication. I would definitely recommend taking this regularly even when you don't really feel the need for it, especially in the beginning. I was told that it was easier to keep it under control than to get rid of pain once it has started. I really needn't have worried.

Post op shoes for 6 weeks which you just have to accept are not the easiest thing to get around in, especially with it being both feet. (I had both done). On the other hand it is one recovery period which I definitely think is best! 

Consultation with the surgeon at 6 weeks. Then could go into shoes. Feet were still swollen and the only footwear that I could get on we're walking sandals which adjusted over the top. I think that some of this was because big toes were very stiff and didn't bend at all. A couple of ohysio sessions and walking around helped a lot. A lot more flexible now. After a couple of weeks I could wear wide walking shoes. Swelling is going down but can't wear any previous shoes. Bought some new EEE fitting boots which are a size bigger than previously worn and they are now getting looser. Feet are not massively swollen but can still see swelling . Toe shape is starting to improve and less sausage like! Am now walking much better and this is improving all of the time. Still getting back ache and have to be conscious of putting weight into big toe when I walk which will help to improve this. 

Where are you having op? Is itMIS?

• Posted

Thank you so much for all this info. Unfortunately I'm not having MIS but I think I'm in good hands. I'm having the op done privately at The Priory in Birmingham. I will do as you say and take the painkillers even if I think I don't need it. Have a lovely Christmas. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.