Hammer toe pin removal, toe swollen

Posted , 3 users are following.

4 weeks ago I had bunion and hammer toe surgery. Everything has gone excellent with recovery up until I had the pin removed 5 days ago from my hammer toe (2nd toe). Almost immediately after returning home from Dr. appointment my toe started swelling, just the toe not my foot. Its swollen the entire length and also on the underside on the end of my toe theres a big fluid filled ball, like a blister almost. Theres no pain but I haven't regained all the feeling back in my foot yet from surgery. Has anyone experienced infection from pin removal? Or what else could it be? My Dr. cant see me until Tuesday, should I go to urgent care? I'm also borderline diabetic so I'm really freaking out.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I haven't had this type of surgery but I would expect that you would have some swelling of the toe so I would expect that to be normal really. You say you are borderline diabetic, does this mean you arent diagnosed with it presently?

With infection the area will be painful and warm. Do you have these symptoms? It may just be that the wire being pulled out has caused a little trauma to your toe and it's reacted to that. But if you are really worried then a trip to urgent care might be worthwhile if nothing else but to reassure you.

• Posted

Oh sorry Jennifer you did say there was no pain. But not gaining all the feeling back in your foot after surgery four weeks ago doesnt sound normal at all.

• Posted

ive had both feet done this year 3 toes and screws in big toes. It took 6 months for swelling and most feeling to come back from first one. Still waiting on second. Its a lot of trauma. My Dr didnt use pins.

• Posted

UPDATE... Dr thinks that I have a nonunion of the joint in my toe. Its painful at times and seems to pop out of place, then without warning it pops back into place. Its worries me terribly. He said may have to "revisit " the union on the operating table. The swelling has for the most part gone down but it's still swollen. I'm on antibiotics which seem to be helping. BUT..... my toe seems to be discolored. kind of a grayish bruising color and its sort of bending where it shouldn't be. But I just keep on the upbeat because my right foot is so perfect now so I know my left will all be good in time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.