Hammer toe post op complications?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My toe is pointing the wrong way after hammer toe surgery. I had Pipj fusions with K wires for 6 weeks on both feet 4th toes plus bunionettes but they are healing well.

K wires removed 3 days ago, seen feet for first time when the bandages were removed. Left foot toe feels and looks good but my toe on the right foot is facing the wrong way, it faces outwards. I have also had a lot of pain in that foot from around 3 weeks post op.

X-rays show bones have fused and are fine. surgeon can see toe pointing outwards but says he doesn't understand why or what it is?

i have seen a lot of info on flail/floating toe but mine isn't raised upwards, just really pointing sideways so not sure if it can be that. anyone been through this?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

how are you doing? i had hammer toe surgery 5 weeks ago and am still struggling to walk.

• Edited

i am doing good now thank you, I'm now 11 weeks post op and walking around 5 miles a day. i do still have some general pain but nothing major. my toes straightened up a but after the pins came out. At 5 weeks post op i still had a lot of pain. do you have pins?

• Posted

i have permanent pins. so mine never had to be taken out. i hit my 5 week mark on this past wednesday. im just so miserable om needing a light at the end of this tunnel . i walk on the sides of my feet cause it feels like my toes want to pop when i put pressure flat footed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.