Hammertoe Surgery - my experience and some helpful tips

Posted , 52 users are following.

Hello

I had Hammertoe surgery 4 weeks ago on both feet, 6 toes in total and I thought I would share my experience as I had so many questions and needed more information and "googled" obsessively to find out more - so here is my experience.

Surgery Day

I arrived at the hospital and was quickly shown to my bed then found out to my complete surprise that the operation was to be undertaken using an Epidural - I had been under the impression it would general anesthetic but no.... 

So the Epidural was uncomfortable but not painful and I was given something which completely chilled me out - I mean in a big way!

I had the surgery was awake the whole time, could hear what was going on but I was that relaxed it didn't matter.

Once the hospital were happy I had normal feeling they said I could go home - another suprise given I had been under the impression that I would be in over night....... it took about 8 hours for the feeling to return.

Now the walking on the feet hurt, seriously not good but the physio was sure that I wouldn't need any walking aids - however I would strongly suggest you get a walking stick or better still crutches for use when you get home.

Days 2-5 - I literally lied in bed all the time only moved to go to the toilet and never came downstairs.

Day 6 - I felt comfortable enough to spend some time in the lounge with the family

Day 7 Onwards - I was pottering around however please be mindful that if you over do it your feet will hurt and elevation is the only cure along with a few paracetmols and Ibruprofen.

Then I improved - we loaned a wheelchair from British Red Cross for a small donation (I gave them £20 for the month)..... I could at least go for a spin around the estate and managed to go out to the pub for lunch occasionally.

I have a seat in my shower so that I can independantly take a shower - I just cover my feet in carrier bags and make sure they are sticking out away from the water.

Cover up your toes if it is winter - something like the ends from a pair of welly socks keeps them warm and also stops people looking at your pins :-) My friend made me some little toe hats which look like babies hats for the ends of my feet and my velcro shoes held them in place.

Week 2 - stiches removed, now this did not hurt but for two days following my toes were sore.... extra laying down required.

After 3 weeks - with the aid of my crutches I managed to take my little girl to school.

Week 4 - Pins removal..... Absolutely does not hurt - it is a wierd kinda sliding feeling all in all less than 10 minutes to undress my feet then remove the pins and clean my toes.... I was nervous but it was really a doddle.... Today is the day after the pins came out and I am a little tender and my feet are freezing so they are now wrapped in some big fluffy socks.

Epsom Salts ordered ready for Thursday so I can have a long soak in the bath (48 hours post pin removal)

Friday I aim to try driving shoes permitting and also going for a little swim!

My feet are too swolen for normal shoes at the moment so I have tried walking bare foot and I can although it feels odd after walking on my heels for 4 weeks.

I have invested in a pair of new balance trainers which are half a size too big ready for some serious walking.

Top tips;

Manage your pain - don't let it get on top of you in the early days

Cover your toes with little "hats" they will get cold if the weather is cold

Have some walking aids at home - they will help in the early days

Consider hiring a wheelchair if you want to go out - 4 weeks in the house is a long time.......

Wear the shoes the hospital gives you - they will aid recovery and ensure you don't damage any healing...

Prepare for a long drawn out wait..... consider working from home if you can (I had one day off for this entire process)

Feet up as much as  you can

Comfy clothing is a must!

In conclusion - it was sooooo worth it my feet look fabulous albiet swollen at the moment and I am looking forward to walking in shoes pain free! :-)

5 likes, 295 replies

295 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello ladies

Don't panic

Stiches out is way more uncomfortable than the pins themselves coming out.

Your healing I'd much further along by the time the pins come out and not as sore.

Deep breaths and you will be fine :-)

And to the lady who asked... just the specoal shoe on when you are walking. Not for sleeping or resting.

Elivation and reSt are the best way forward x

• Posted

Hi Marie, after your wires were removed, how long would you say that the swelling on your toes had completely gone
    • Posted

The swelling will start gradually going down mine is!

Just been on my first night about since the start of December .. I wore my shoe and got sympathy 😂 Had to wear the healing shoe because my foot is swollen to fit into anything else other than trainers and I wouldn't be or got into places with my trainers on 😖 Still very sore though so time to rest and probably be off it now for the rest of the weekend. Good luck with recovery, it seems like I'm a couple of weeks infront of you. When did you have your surgery done?

Kind regards Lydia x

• Posted

Hi Maggie, thing are going well! I have good days and bad days, I am no longer wearing the healing shoe but I am still only wearing trainers. 🤗 Today has been a good day for the first time since my foot surgery I have taken my dog for a long muddy walk haha. Feeling it now though!

Hope your well and back in your normal shoe xxx

• Posted

Hi Lydia, I can only wear my wide toe boots at the min, and like you I have good days, and some not so good, if I over do it, I know about it! My toe is still swollen, and I find plenty of elevation is the best thing. I have my preoperative appointment next Wednesday, so not long now.. kind regards Maggie.
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, sounds like over time you'll be back to normal! Take a lot longer though considering your having your other foot done. Are you feeling confident on having the other done?

• Posted

Hi, Lydia.I so wish they operated on both toes at the same time, as I'm really getting fed up with the recovery time! My consultant said people don't realize what a long term recovery procedure it can be, he told me 3 months and more depending on the surgery you have..I had both bones broke, 2 ligaments removed, and then tendon lengthened,..I'm hoping my second surgery won't be so bad, as that toe isn't as bad

Kind regards Maggie..

• Posted

Hi maggie, sounds like a lot of work!

Good luck hope all goes well x

• Posted

Hi Marie

Thank you so much for your review

I had hammer toe surgery a few days ago and have found your advice invaluable!

It has been so painful this last week, I was beginning to regret it

I had general anaesthetic and had a few nasty side effects

I'm just starting to feel better now though, and pottering around the house

smile

• Posted

Marie, thank you for the first positive experience I've found about hammer toe surgery. Like you I have 'Googled' obsessively to find info on post surgery recovery. So many negative experiences on the web! You ave given me a lifeline - and some very useful tips. I know your post is quite old so if you pick this up can you let me know how long it took for feet to return to normal size? Thanks again for your useful comments.

• Posted

Hello....

So I had the Op in Jan 2015.. so gosh yes two years ago!!!

Swelling lasted about 6 months all told.

In August 2015 so 7 months later I went on holiday and was very uncomfortable walking on sand but I had been running 4 times a week and going to aerobics since early July so I think it was the movement I the surface.

Since the op some of my old shoes are still painful to wear do I have had to adopt a slightly different style of foot wear since.

I found some wide sensible open toe leather sandals... Clarke's or hush puppies were perfect during recovery period.

My feet are wider than they were before the op so I am now just cautious of shoe styes.

I am very pleased I did it... my feet are so much better than before and now I am pain free.

Good luck everyone in your recoveries.... work on 6 to 8 months to get back to normal and if you have had a busy day still ellivate as it really does help x

• Posted

Hi all, I'm booked in on Thursday 23rd March to have Hammertoe surgery on the 4th & 5th toes on both feet. I'm not looking forward to having the surgery done but it's a must now as the pain is getting too much when wearing any type of shoe, the constant rubbing on my toes from my shoes is a nightmare and hurts so much.

I'm so happy to read all the positive feedback from people's surgeries. I've been told the pins will stay in for 6 weeks after my surgery. Will the hospital give me a walking shoe for both feet and some crutches as I'm unsteady as it is on my feet as I have a bad hip from when I was a child so I hope that they will give me some support for when I do have to walk about.

I have also requested to be put to sleep under general anaesthetic as I was given the option to be awake during surgery but didn't feel comfortable in having the procedure done whilst still awake. I will keep you all upto date with what's going on and I hope to speak to you all. Love Emma xx

• Posted

Just had my right foot done this morning. All toes and a bunion. Am able to write cause meds from surgery haven't worn off. Have Percocet for when they do. 

Emma - I had General anesthesia and was fine. Also totally know bout the one pair of shoes. Bless you. 

• Posted

Hi Barb, hope everything went well, how many hours were you in the hospital after the surgery? I will ask for those pain killers as ibuprofen and paracetamol together doesn't seem to work for me as I still feel joint pain after I take those. Did they just give you a shoe and no crutches. Xx

• Posted

Was in surgery center four hours. One hour pre and post and two hours for actual surgery. They gave me crutches and the boot.

Since I've been home-7 hours - am gradually regaining feeling and am prepared for the pain.

Doctor friend alerted us to the use of Percocet and just emailed hubby and said it's better to start them as soon as feel pain rather than wait until pain unbearable

Basically his theory is that it's more difficult to alleviate pain when you let it build up. Deal with it as soon as pain begins.

Hope this helps

• Posted

1 hour after surgery they let you go home jeez they can't wait to kick people out. Yea I will start popping those painkillers as soon as I feel a slight bit of pain than wait for it to build up. Yes all your info is helping, thanks so much. Keep me updated on how you get on. Xx

• Posted

So here I am two days post op. Main recommendation is pain management. Start before you need them and stay on course cause when you get to where you need them catch up is impossible. Icing and elevation also very important. Able to waLk easily with boot. Don't need crutches. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I had hammertoe surgery yesterday on the second toe on both feet. Had the op under general anaesthetic and during the surgery a pain blocker was injected around the toes to keep me pain free for the next 24 hours. I was given a medical shoe for both feet and a pair of crutches. It is now just over 24 hours since the op and although the pain blockerhbas worn off I haven't taken the co-codemal or Ibruprofen as the pain is quite bearable - on a scale of 1 - 10 I'd say a 1. I think I've been very fortunate. I am keeping legs elevated where possible. More good news was that my pins will be removed in 4 weeks time - not the 6 - 8 weeks I was expecting. I wish you luck with your surgery and hope it goes as well as mine. I am fortunate to be close to an outstanding NHS hospital, Frimley Park whose staff were super throughout, very reassuring and kind from the porter pushing my trolley to the surgeon. Will be thinking of you.

Sally x

• Posted

Hi Barb, glad to see that you're doing well and you haven't had to rely on the crutches which is great news. Yea I have read a lot about people advising to keep on top of pain management and take the pain killers as soon as you need them. I will remember to keep my feet elevated and keep icing them. Thanks for all the info. Xx

• Posted

Hi Sally, thanks for sharing your experience, glad to see that you're not in much pain. And that's wonderful to hear that you were treated so well by all the staff. Hope everything goes well for your recovery. Xx

• Posted

Hi Emma,

Thanks for your support. Do let me know how things go for you. I think we all have a lot to thank Marie for as hers was the first positive hammertoe surgery story I managed to find! Now it's good to hear other positive experiences.

love

Sally

• Posted

Hi Sally, I had my operation on Friday, pain killers have helped ease the pain but doesn't get rid of it completely. I can sometimes walk without the crutches and just using my special shoes on both feet but other times I need the crutches to help with balance because of my hip and my feet get tired if I stand still on them, I've been resting at all times when I can unless I need to go to the toilet or when I am getting up the stairs. The only thing I'm not liking is the fact that I can't bend my toes, it's so weird they feel so stiff lol. How are you getting on with your recovery? Have you had your stitches out and did they re-bange it after your stitches were removed? Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.