Hammertoe with kwire - recovery and return to work

Posted , 2 users are following.

Good evening. I am almost 6 weeks post hammertoe correction. Get the kwire out on 11/25 (happy dance!) I've been non weight bearing and using a knee scooter. My questions are, to you brave, strong souls that have had this procedure:

1. Can you walk normal right away after the kwire removal? Will I realistically be able to drive, climb steps, walk around the neighborhood?
  2. I've read that the kwire removal does not hurt but that there is some pain for a few days afterwards. Your experience?
  3. I'm scheduled to return to work after 6 weeks off and being non weight bearing. I have an active job, walk 3-5 miles a day - should i plan on using a cane or walker?
  4. Any other advice?

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

Beth

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I had my pin removed and thats when I felt like my issues started. my toe and foot swells up all the time now. My surgery consisted of a planter plate repair under the 2nd metatarsal, hammertoe correction and osteotomy as well as repair of the joint and repair of tendons and ligaments. How is your foot now? my toe actally seemed unstable after pin removal as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.