Hamorrhoids operation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have just had my hamorrhoids operation on Monday, which went well. I was slightly sick after the operation, therefore they kept me in over night. Also they wanted to make sure I could pass urine before I was discharged. I have been given lactulose oral solution 10ml morning and night with fybogel sachets to softener my stool. I took first dose Tuesday morning but so far no bowl movement. When will I get a movement? Pass a lot of wind. I also have painkillers dihydrocodeine and paracetamol. Any advise would be appreciated. What should I be eating ? I got my surgery done in Scotland. Thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am currently on waiting list for this operation, hemmorhoidectomy. (very nervous) how long did you have to wait to have this done in Scotland? You sound like your doing ok which is very positive. All that I've read about food afterwards is lots of fresh fruit and veg. Lots and lots of water. Brown bread fibre. Soups. Avoid fatty foods, alcohol caffeine and red meat.

Are you coping ok with the pain?

• Posted

Hi I had to wait for over 12 weeks. Doing fine just a bit sore but not taking all the painkillers. The only thing is I am walking like a 80 year old woman. Where are you getting your operation done??
    • Posted

Hi Mary, I am also having mine done in Scotland

Did you use a sitz bath atall? Just wondering if it's worth me buying one.

So good to hear a positive story though apart from the funny walk but that's to be expected. Hope you continue to improve.

• Posted

Hi no I have not bought a sits bath. I just use my own bath and shower. I have a bath and the shower together and also a shower by its self. Walked further today and not as tired as yesterday. What grade have you been told you have ? Where in Scotland is your operation?
    • Posted

Grade 3. Previously had Thd procedure that didn't work. Helped with bleeding but not prolapse. surgeon has said because of the position of hemmorhoids and because they are in a ring he advises 2 surgeries to reduce the risk of complications. (Stenosis) He did however say in cases like this that some patients find a significant improvement after 1 surgery and do not require a 2nd. Great to hear of your improvement. Keep us posted, so nice to hear a positive story.

• Posted

Wonder if the sitz bath is more help with external hemmorhoid removal rather than internal? have read lots about others using these after surgery. Possibly more an American thing than used in the Uk?
    • Posted

Are your internal or external? Not really sure about the sitz bath.
  • Posted

Hi Mary

Try eating a few (3-4 ) prunes.  They will keep things soft and also give you a gentle laxative. 

I ate loads of boiled veggies , chicken and rice after my op. I found I needed the rice to counteract the fibre as it was making me go too many times otherwise. 

Also if it's comfortable to do so just lubricate your bum with Vaseline so when u do go it will not injure the area 

All the best xxxx

• Posted

Hi , were did you have your operation done ? Had a small bowl movement last night before I went to bed. It was sore and very slow. Take it will get better. Been for a small walk to the end of the road last night and this morning. I was walking very slow just like a woman of 80. When does it start to feel better ??. When is it you get an appointment to go back to hospital for a check-in??
    • Posted

Hi Mary

I had mine done in Australia

I had my post op apt at 4 weeks

Two wounds hadn't healed so have to go back at the 6 week mark again

I started to feel better around 4 weeks. It does take a longgg time so hang in there xxx

• Posted

I am two months post op.... I had an awful time.... few things that helped me... freeze a hot dog in zip freezer bag and wrap in small piece of torn pillow case it will lay to your anus between your cheeks with out feeezing your cheeks. Get a sports bottle you can squeeze fill with warm water have ready when you have a BM

Stay away from dairy.... ice cream is not your

friend.... stay away from pain killers that cause constipation ... stay away from high flour starchy foods that stick to your gut... 

epsoms salts baths..... smoothies as many as you can stand. Fruits greens almond milk vanilla makes a great flavor to any smoothie! 800 ibuprofens worked best for me. Careful not to let the pain get ahead of you! 

Good luck..... I still watch my diet not to be thin but for my butt!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.