hamstring cramp after TKR affecting bend

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had 2 TKR left 8 weeks ago and R 4 weeks ago. Left was easy, pain manageable, good bend early etc etc. R was more normal. Now though my R is doing better than my left. at physio my R had 110 deg bend. My left had  that or bit more, but now my hamstring cramps painfully at about 100 deg and I can't bend it any more. Physio said to do passive bends but it still cramps. I have tried massage and magnesium tablets with not much effect.it Started about 4 weeks ago, but then settled, and now has come back.i know I am lucky in that I am doing well, but just hoping someone has some ideas.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandra, don't know if you're getting something similar to me. If you've read my previous comments you'll know I've been suffering from hamstring pain - I'm always harping on about it😊 I started noticing it when doing stretches to improve leg extension. My bend is good and the leg is pretty straight now but I'm still getting problems with pain in the hamstring when I'm walking or standing for a while. It's ok when I'm resting. I think it's the muscles realigning to a straight leg - mine was quite bent for a long time before. The physio's given me specific exercises to strengthen the hamstring and the GP's given me Ibuprofen gel to rub on. I can't take Ibuprofen orally because of a stomach problem otherwise she'd have suggested that too she said. I'm hoping it's just a question of time but it is a pain (literally!) I find the exercise bending on the 2nd step of the stairs then a few stretches on the footstool helps every so often during the day if it's stiff. And I think these strenghten ones help but it's going to take time. Jen(17 weeks)
    • Posted

My pain only happens when I flex my knee so opposite to yours.walking and stretching are ok. Can you explain the exercises a bit more? They might help me. I wonder if my hamstrings are weak and seize up as soon as I use them to bend my knee.
    • Posted

The one using the stairs - stand at the bottom with bad foot on 2nd  step and bend knee as far as you can then pull leg straight back keeping foot on step. Hold each for 5 secs. Footstool - put heel of bad leg on footstool, straighten leg then bend from the hip till you feel a stretch at back of leg. Do 3x30 secs. 

You may have been give some of the strengthening ones.

lie on tummy on bed and flex buttocks and bend knee back and hold for 5secs. I also do this with weight on ankle and leg hanging over the bottom of the bed. Also one with a ball between the ankles and bending both legs back. 

The best strengthening one is the bridge which involves lying on the floor, both feet flat on floor, knees bent then lift your bottom up so that there's a straight line between your waist and knees. Hold for 5. Also do it with just one leg at a time which is harder. Difficult to explain but  you'll find it if you search for hamstring exercises. 

I think what you're getting is probably "normal" and part of the healing process. I'd check with your physio before doing any of these harder exercises perhaps? Jen x

• Posted

Thanks Jen. I will talk to the physio first.I was doing the bridging one before the op but haven't done it since.
  • Posted

hi Sandra... I have been having these cramps since i had my op.... 11 Weeks ago... mostly at night   very painful and last up to 3 hours.... I spoke to my   GP... who gave me Diazepam..2mg   at night... I also take magnesium... paracetamol  for pain .   I use a balance ball   and 5 minutes on an exercise bike.... and the exercises they gave us to do in hospital.... I always use a stick when walking as the knee gives way a lot..... I have a great bend   and can straighten it but it's always sore behind the knee... good luck and hopefully it will improve with time.... 
    • Posted

Hi Mary, which magnesium do you take? Is it magnesium oxide or magnesium nitrate? I've never taken it but wonder whether to give it a try. Mind you, I put the Ibuprofen gel on this morning that the GP prescribed yesterday and my knee's the best it's been! Don't know if it's the gel or coincidence but I've been on my feet all morning and,although stiff, not that awful pain behind the knee and back of leg. Hope it'll keep up but prepared for a set back tomorrow as whenever I get my hopes up I always seem to go backwards again 😊 
    • Posted

I know what you mean whenever I have had a good day or two... I'm always thinking I'm going to pay for this ... its magnesium oxide.. tesco usually have them on a 3   for  2 offer... I also take cod liver oil capsules and high strength vitamin c.... to try and ward off colds ... I usually get the flu jab... but GP advised  against it just now as it can make you feel achey... and she felt I had enough going on just now.... my spasms haven't stopped completely... but they are not as severe...I also tried the ibuprofen gel... Voltarol 12 hour stuff is good... £9.. A tube though... not sure if GP  would prescribe.... 
    • Posted

The GP mentioned Voltarol but then prescribed the Ibuprofen so I don't know if the same stuff is in it. I might try the magnesium. I also take omega 3 and zinc and echinacea when I feel a cold coming on. Been on my feet a lot today as it's my 5 year old granddaughter's birthday and I baked cakes  did sandwiches etc I even did a bit of dancing 😊🎈🎈 We'll see what tomorrow brings....... 
  • Posted

I will have to try the gel. I know what you mean about getting your hopes up. I walked 1.6 km the other day with no.pain and felt fantastic.then fell in a heap. Pain etc.I think I will get an exercise bike and try that too. And a balance ball!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.