Hamstring not firing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well.I think I have really screwed this process. I have never walked properly since my tkr..I think I went into protection mode...anyway I had a massage last night. The guy said my hamstring is as hard as a Rock and doesn't want to fire. He showed me some stretch but with my up coming mua I am scared that procedure will be horrible or will it free up my hamstring to rehab this properly. ?.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sandy, Friday I will be 21 weeks post TKR and I had a MUA at the 12 week mark.   Did you go to PT?  I am in the States (I know it done differently in the UK) and my PT folks worked intensely on getting my hamstring strong and firing properly because you will not walk well or bend good enough if your hamstring and other muscles around your knee are not working properly.  

I had the MUA since my bend was only 100 and it was because of scar tissue build up.  Some folks just make scar tissue faster than others.  The MUA process was fine for me and I was very happy I did it because I was able to bend to 120 on my own and 130 with help.  

BUT, a friend of mine had a MUA and it did nothing....because it was all because of his very very tight hamstrings.  He changed his PT provider to one that is working with him on his hamstring problem and is making better progress. 

My 2 cents from my non-medical position, is you need to work on that hamstring.  You can google exercises for after a knee replacement or get a PT person or trainer to help you because if your issues are from your hamstring not sure a MUA will not help with the bend.  

• Posted

Yes I was doing physio 2xs a week.and excerises every day 3xs a week. .I don't walk properly and haven't for say 18 months. ...I will continue with the physio as long as my bank acct can handle it. My plan is pt 2xs a week and athletic training with trainer 2 days a week. ..I will be able to maintain that for a month and hopefully by then will be able to handle the excerises on my own. ....I can do this just need to put my mind into it.

• Posted

Mia should just tear scar tissue loose so that every thing is freed up to a degree. I would listen to the masseuse and try them.
  • Posted

I had very little physio , probably because had op just before Xmas and so hospital rehab ward shut . I have my doubts whether loads of physio and exercise really makes any difference to outcome . Because of a lot of pain I really didn’t do enough exercising , just bending and straightening whilst in bed , did go out with crutches for coffee or around supermarket after a week , did go to private physio after about 2 weeks who was of same idea as me , because pain meds not really working then not to push it , so did very little there , he couldn’t even massage it for a month as just too painful ,  I can bend it and walk fine now at 6 mths , I gues I’m just saying we all very different how are bodies respond to op , some of you have had a hard battle to get it bending ! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.