Hand and arm pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all,

Just wanted to share an idea that I use for severe pain in the hands and arms. We all know that CRPS in the arm and hand is very painful. My left hand is constantly throbbing purple and red and the prickly numbness makes it hard to use. Of course I've mentioned lidocaine patches for my face and head and it's not a pretty sight but worth it to give some relief for Trigeminal Neuralgia and Occipital Neuralgia. Back on the hand. I've also been wearing a latex glove on my left hand and sometimes I even need to have one my right one. Nitrate gloves or regular vinyl gloves (you know, the medical examination gloves) do help. Make sure to buy a proper size that fit. Nitrate gloves, I've found, fit tighter and will help with that uncomfortable feeling of CRPS. They may also help with the throbbing pain to a certain extent. I also powder my hand with Gold Bond before slipping one on for them to slide on easier without tearing them. A couple of pieces of tape on the end of the glove around the wrist will help keep moisture from entering the glove. Another benefit is that it helps keep your painful hand from getting cold and swelling which we know increases pain. Sometimes I'll slide a cloth arthritis compression glove over the top of the latex glove for extra relief from cold and swelling. Now the arm. I use compression sleeves to help. Best to wear the gloves with the sleeves because without the gloves the compression sleeves force more swelling in the hand. I've got special ordered Dallas Cowboys and Clemson Tigers compression sleeves. I'll get a good conversation with other football fans about my sleeves. On my left leg I'll wear a tight fitting compression stocking with cotton socks on. Helps with warmth and pain from CRPS. Salonpas, which can be found in the over the counter muscle pain aisle near Bengay, helps some with chronic muscle spasms in my calve muscle. Warning though, Salonpas goes on very cold and will burn for a few minutes. For some of you it may increase nerve pain if applied in very sensitive areas from CRPS. It's trial and error. Makes sure if applying Salonpas you use latex gloves. If it gets on your hands it's easily removed with rubbing alcohol then soap and water. With CRPS we have to do things that may not be a pleasant sight but remember this,,, we're only trying to find some relief. Who cares what other people think. I am self conscious about the way I look but I've learn to except that I'm only trying to help myself. People stare and ask questions but you've got to learn to block that out just like people with severe burns and other disabilities. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking care of you. Now all of this will help when seeing your physician with proper diagnosis and how they see the extreme measures we must take to provide some relief for ourselves so wear these things when going to your appointments but most of all try wearing these things for your own good. The pain never really goes away and flare ups are extremely difficult. I give you my word that these things help, especially in affected hands while trying to use them for tedious things like typing, cooking, cleaning, and ect. Okay, I'm covered with lidocaine patches on my face and back of my head and also with my latex glove and Cowboys sleeve on my left. May not be pretty but I'm facing my day with some relief. Remember, trial and error. We have to do odd things for CRPS.

Let me know if my suggestions have help you,

Jimmy (Rocky)

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Jimmy. Thanks for sharing. If we keep sharing what works for us then we will find something that helps others. I have huge issues with sensitivity like you mentioned. Allodynia is out of control.  On my feet is worse I can’t even bear a sock.  That is difficult in Ireland as it’s cold. I can only wear runners.  Think you call them sneakers. Oh I miss wearing normal shoes and my high heals. Takes away my feminine side 😢. I have cancelled so many nights out as I have no foot wear.  Also my arms very sensitive so wearing loose clothing and bamboo fabric.  

• Posted

Hi Rocky and Brenda,

It is indeed trial and error to find what helps us with CRPS.

We have many things in common but what works for one person may not help another. But it is good to hear other people's suggestions and try them to see if we get some relief.

Brenda, I know what you mean about missing pretty shoes. I have to wear practical shoes and sandals. I see so many cute sandals but they have the piece that goes between your big toe and the toe next to it. I can't have anything between those toes as the major Nerve that runs into those toes has nerve damage.

I have found some somewhat cute and extremely comfortable sandals by Clark shoes called Cloudsteppers. So comfy and cushion the bottom of your feet. And some pretty styles. I get the ones with the least amount of straps, coverage etc.

They are a little more expensive than some shoes. I try to find them on sale or at stores like TJ Maxx(a discount store here in USA that carries better brands).

Rocky, have you tried those copper compression sleeves, socks etc that Bret Favre does the TV commercials for?

Take care

Tracy

• Posted

Jimmy, I don't know how old you are and if you are on Medicare yet and get your drugs paid for as what I am about to suggest is a bit expensive.  I know you like your salon pas but they have this absolutely wonderful world of compounding prescription creams that your doc can order that can have just about every drug under the sun in a lidocaine/prilocaine base.  My particular one has diclofenac ( anti-inflammatory), gabapentin (anti-seizure), baclofen ( anti-muscle spasm) and cocoa butter so it doesn't burn when it goes on. I generally take a bath in it when I wake up LOL.  I also agree with you about who cares how you look.  My boyfriend had a cow when a cane showed up in the mail, but I figured out really quick  I wasn't going to be walking unaided very soon. I also have another comfy shoe, Rothy's, they are a bit expensive, but oh so soft and they don't come up to my surgery scar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.