Hand ezcema

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have had this ezcema for well over 10 years, I had a bad bout 3 weeks ago, only to return again this week. It starts with the itching which drives me mad, I have the steroid creams, moisterisers but I think the steroid cream dermovate makes it worse they are so painful any help would be appreciated

jean

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'd recommend you look into TSW/RSS (topical steroid withdrawal syndrome /red skin syndrome)

God bless

• Posted

Hi Jean

Sorry to hear you are suffering. Most prescribed or over the counter treatments contain chemicals, and chemicals irritate the condition.

Have you thought about using naturopathic therapeutic 100% natural products we get fantastic feedback on their effectiveness and they are scientifically proven?

• Posted

Hi I have developed this in my mid 60s. It's hell. I have learned to wear gloves if using cleaning products, driving, cooking etc and not use shower gel etc. Was on oral steroids for 15 weeks after seeing a dermatologist privately but decided to stop as read about their adverse effects and then  was in a worse state than ever before which is when the hands became so bad along with my lips. A lot more stable four months after stopping though now but still very flakey and get little pustules etc if use hands. I won't use steroids again and only use Epiderm, Vaselinne, Beeswax lip balm and aloe very toothpaste! My what a learning curves it's been. If you search on Facebook for groups such as dermatitis or eczema there's a lot of support and advice given if you are interested. Good luck with it anyway.

• Posted

My eczema started 10 years ago as hand eczema, dermotologist treated it with Vanos topical steroid and that would take care of outbreaks.  Now 10 years later I wish I knew then what I know now.  I have full blown Allergic Contact Dermatitis (ACD).  I had treated my hand out break with a steroid as mentioned, but then started getting rashes in female external private areas and maddening itching, stinging, burning all over and under my skin.  My scalp itch was maddening, my husband would tell me I woud go bald from pulling on my hair while watching TV. I learned that trying to treat the symptoms and not solving what was causing my problems was getting me no where.  I learned about Patch Testing, this is not the simple prick test with results in 30 minutes from the allergist for environmental allergies, this is a series of panels with chemcials and elements we are exposed to in our enviroment. It takes 5 days and is uncomfortable, but I was so motivated hoping for help. I was tested for 78 items and was positive to 5.  But those 5 had been in most everything I put on- preservative, fragrance, fibers and more that were in  all my soaps, moisturizers (except Vasiline), shampoo, my clothing, shoes, carpet, bedding- even my toilet paper, well you name it, even the gloves I was using to protect my hands from soap.  With the list of my allergens I have found replacement products. The hardest replacements are for clothing, but I have done it with great dificulty I will admit.  Yet now I sit here without rashes and itching,  you have no idea how much pain I was in- I had been ready to kill myself because the itching was worse at night and I could not sleep. Our cortisol levels are highest at night- thats what makes us itch. I could share my 5 allergens and all my replacement products, but your results may be very different then mine.  Another good site to learn about ACD or eczema is the Inspire Website, I go by the name GardeningJunkie.  My fellow suffers  helped me imensly with replacement products.  An example of how simple it can be is dishwashing gloves.  I had been using rubber or latex or nitrile or neoprene gloves to protect myself from dishsoap.  My patch test showed I was allergic to Mercaptobenzothiazole, an element in rubber that is used to process the ingredients in the previously mentioned gloves.  I was a 3 plus, the highest reaction. (this is also in Spandex- goodbye cute yoga pants and tight jeans!) I can use viny gloves- have found wonderful vinlyl gloves and no more hand eczema.   Gyno and Derm told me to use hydrocortisone for itching (even though I told them it seemed to worsen the itching) well I am allergic to an element in hydrocortisone.  I could bore you with endless examples- please Google Patch Testing for Allergic Contact Dermatitis, Medicare paid for this.   I suffered  many miserable months/years and not one dermatologist told me about it! My ACD was gradual then built up over time and once you get it you always have it and one only becomes more sensitive. I wasted lots of Medicare's dollars going to a neurologist who tested me for everything under the sun, nothing wrong with my nerve's, it was just what surrounded me in my daily life.

Hope this helps you.  I have my life back and want to share this knowledge with others,

• Posted

Ask your doctor if you can have Elocon Ointment - not the lotion. And you will need a pair of cotton gloves available from Boots £2. This ointment is great and takes all the redness from my hands, it is excellent with regards to not damaging the skin unlike many steroid creams. I also take antihistamines as well - Ranitidine 15o x 2 daily, 2 x loratadine at about 6pm as night is my worst time and 1 x zyrtec am. It has made a huge difference to me.

• Posted

PS let the ointment soak in for an hour or so at least before having to wear the gloves which saves you spreading it everywhere especially at night just before bed.
    • Posted

Glad this helps you.. but would have to strongly urge information being shared at the same time.

One should never cover skin that's had steroids on.

Treating something should never be asreplacement for finding the cause. Proper investigations, tests, patch testing will find the cause.

Steroids are incredibly damaging to the skin, even when it doesn't cause things so severe as TSW/RSS they still damage the skin and also lower your skins ability to fight infection and also encourage infection. This is very important to understand because not only is damaged skin more susceptible to infection, but eczema or sskin conditions caused by anything often have a higher staph count.

These are just a few points of many. Please do mention them if you're going to recommend steroids or anything of the kind

All the best to you

God bless

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Bella. I understand about damaged skin being more susceptible to infection, but with the ointment being left on the skin for a couple of hours most has gone through the top layer, and my GP said fine to put cotton gloves on then, plus it makes me far less likely to itch. So it is not like placing a bandage over the area of the hands that are itching, in my case the palms................. ? but perhaps my GP is not up to date maybe? All I know is that for a short time this helped. All the best to you too X

• Posted

Dear Mary31634- First I am new to this site so if I am asking you questons you have already answered please excuse me.

In my never ending quest for more knowledge and treatments for eczema/dermatitis I looked up the Elocon Ointment which I never heard of. It worked for you and I wanted to learn more  since you mentioned it was not a steroid.  I looked it up from 3 of my favorite sites and was told that cortiseroids were just lab made steroids.  They listed all the side effects and which were identical to the side effects of over-use of steroids, which include thinning skin, depression of our over active immune system which is causing inflamation, brittle bones and such.

Question 1-  Was my interenet information incorrect?

Question 2- What is causing your hand eczema.?I have not had an outbreak of  hand exzema (for 1 1/2 years now) because I have eliminated my allergic triggers and as previously mentioned, without the 5 day uncomfortable Patch Testing I would have never figured it out because the very things I was doing to stop the outbreaks were actually part of the problems for example: the  dishwashing gloves I was using to protect my hands from soap contained one of my allergens.  My garden gloves were coated with waterproof substances that triggered my allergens and so on. Even the rubber hose I was using to hand water area contained an allergen for me.  I have substitued other other  materials, for example vinyl for the gloves and garden hose and soaps without preservatives and this has made all the difference. 

• Posted

Hi, sorry here. The Elocon ointment was not said to be not steroid, I just said it did not damage skin like many other steroid creams. I think this is partly because it is an ointment - which was why it was mentioned I wore cotton gloves about a  couple of hours after putting the ointment on. I have not used soaps for about 8 years now - I never wear rubber gloves despite being told to by a dermatologist, and my condition is chronic urticaria - although the itch drives people crazy just like eczema. After five years of not finding an answer to why I have this problem I gave up looking for one. It went away, and now has come back. I am very careful about how much steroid ointment I use as I also have to use steroid tablets at times, other than that I shall need an anti-rejection drug. So yes I am extremely careful.
    • Posted

NEVER ASSUME YOU HAVE JUST ONE FORM OF SKIN DISEASE- I looked up, Uticaria which is another new disease name for me.  It seems like the docs can't really figure out what causes it and for you it is trial and error searching for solutions. Most of us with skin issues have multiple skin problems which overlap and confuse all the doctors.   I had assumed, as the docors did that my torso rash  was based upon my ACD.  Even after detoxing my world of my allergic contacts it still prevailed.  Finally after several dermatologists a new derm took one look and said I had Grover's Disease  or acantolytic dermatitis, a very rare form of dermatitis. Good that I had a name and a reason why this area was not respoding to my contact changes.  Bad news,  like Uticaria, one can only treat the symptoms, although if I avoid heat, sweat and friction the outbreaks are fewer or less severe. This avoidance is challanging for me because of my hobbies. Why do you avoid wearing rubber gloves? Do you find it makes your uticaria worse?  As mentioned I do have a rubber allergy but can wear vinyl gloves, wonderful comfortable and flexible and long lasting ones are Clean Ones pure Comfort latex free gloves,  which are 100% vinyl stated in the fine print  and I do not know of anyone allergic to vinyl.  I buy these through Amazon.I was concerned about the lining, but now after one year have not had a reaction to that, best of all they don't make my hands hot.  I am careful to dry thoroughly, I have a hook in panty with a large binder clip which I attach to cuff to open up and air dry.My point is this, you may not only have uticaria, but also have contact or allergic contact allergies and if this is the case if you protect your hands from soaps and cleaners you may be able to clear them up as I have.

• Posted

Steroid ointments damage the skin just as much as creams. The difference is they contain less other ingredients which reduces the chance of you being allergic to them. Although it's worth mentioning one can be allergic to the steroid itself.

• Posted

Bella good point about the ointment versus creams- I have learned this through personal experience and if anyone questions it, just compare the list of inactive ingredients and notice that the cream has many more ingredients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.