Hand pain after bicep and rotator cuff surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm three and a half weeks post surgery and the pain in my shoulder is still excessive and excruciating. Shouldn't have been showing the pain start going away buy now ?That said at times the pain in my hand and fingers exceeds the pain in my shoulder and I'm very worried that I have a new hand problem to deal with. Any words of wisdom out there?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

3 1/2 weeks is not long at all!

I had pain like that until that stupid immobilizer came off. And then I thought everything was going to be better however, it got worse when I tried to straighten my arm after being bent for so long. Once I started PT and they started rubbing the shoulder area & the muscles under my armpit, neck, back and releasing everything, that’s when I started having more mobility, less pain,  sleeping through the night and feeling much better. Three weeks is not long. If you’re feeling the same after 10 weeks then worry 

• Posted

One surgeon said some patients heal very slowly saying month or 2 for relief.  But call yours as maybe they wish to do tests to rule other things out like reflex sympathetic dystrophy.    Hopefully it’s not that and u r healing at your own pace.  
  • Posted

Hang in there. It’s a long process. I was shoved into physical therapy 18 hrs after surgery. PT girl ripped off my bandage at the time. Replaced bandage with no gloves on till I freaked out. Sorry but I a healthcare professional. Needless to say we were on bad terms after that.

I quit PT after 6 sessions. Felt a tearing when she flexed my arm. She told me that it was to be expected. No pain, no gain. Also told me in a very rude fashion (in front of other patients) that my implant was dissolvable. Sorry. It doesn’t dissolve. 16 months after surgery and I’m very limited in movement due to constant arm, bicep and hand pain. Circulation issues, too. Constant numbness. 

So, please be patient and hopefully you have a great doctor. I’m afraid to visit with my surgeon because I know things were messed up by his PT staff. No more surgery for me. This was horrendous. I was on pain management before surgery which only led to my constant pain due to Federal and State regulations and narcotics. I wasn’t getting enough pain relief during my recovery. The doctors nurse tried but my pain could not be controlled properly for my full recovery. I could only take my pain medication every 6 hrs ( pain mgt directive) and was told to take every 3-4 hrs. I couldn’t refill for 30 days. So, long story short: I suffered a lot. 

Do your exercises and know your tolerance. If you feel that something isn’t right, speak up. 

• Posted

I’m reading your story and shaking my head. I cannot believe what you went through. I think you should tell your doctor and report that physical therapist because obviously they’re doing it to other people. My surgeon told me right to my face “physical therapy should not hurt! You must be interactive & tell them if they hurt you at all!”

he said if there’s any pain speak up.

Of course I was in an immobilizer for six weeks before I started PT. He said it must heal a little to the bone before you start physical therapy. He also said it heals 15% a month. So by doing PT right after, probably made it worse and that’s why you didn’t heal well!

Shame on that surgeon and the physical therapist. I’m very fortunate to live in a place where people actually come to get surgeries because we have the top surgeons in California and some parts of the world. People come from Las Vegas just to come to our hospitals and our doctors here. I am so sorry that you went through what you went through. It sounds horrendous 

• Posted

I’m in SW FL and I think 85% of doctors down here are rejects from the north. I’ve worked in laboratories and pharmacies my whole life. Technician in both fields. Hospital work 30+ years. I’ve seen a lot.

I think my ultimate problem was my pain mgt. The doctors nurse was upset that I was in so much pain. I couldn’t decrease the time between doses to get relief. My pain mgt doctor just increase the milligrams for the next month q 6 hrs. I was good for 3-4 hrs and then pain again for another 2hrs. Then, it took another hour to settle down and start over. Tons of ice packs, too. 

I’m trying to live with this mess but I’m deteriorating. I’m going to have to suck it up and go back to my surgeon.

• Posted

I'm so sorry. I have to say this surgery was much worse than I had thought it would be. I don't understand why the Drs don't tell us the difficulties with it? Have you heard of a new procedure called Stem Cell injections? It seems its new, and they inject your own stem cells into the effected area, and it heals within 2 weeks. If I ever have this problem with my "good" shoulder, I will never have this surgery again, I will try something like Stem cell....its been a horrible painful surgery & recovery.

• Posted

Yeah I get that everybody's pain level and period 4 recovery. Is variable. Trying to find out if I have a simple swelling in my hand after surgery or a new hand problem or one that was created from the surgery cuz I have cramping and stiffness and unbearable spasms in my hand

• Posted

I had that in my hand and it did go away. Prolem is that I overused my non surgical hand and now I have a issue with it. Has a MRI on it Saturday. I will be a year out in two weeks. I feel I just can't win. My non surgical shoulder is a mess now also.

Anyway, your pain in your hand I believe is a temporary thing.

• Posted

Well thanks for that you're the first to do respond directly about this hand thing it's concerning me more than my shoulder I think I'm never going to be normal again. My pain is worse now than before I ever had the surgery. I'm sitting in a recliner 24 hours a day and it'll be a month and two days

• Posted

That is normal for this surgery. It takes so much out of you. I just found out this morning I have a torn tendon in my non surgical wrist from over using it after surgery. So careful with the other one, but the shoulder surgery affects clear down to your wrist and I was told this was normal, if you can call any of this normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.