Hand pain and weakness, unable to grip

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, 

I've been having pain in my hands on and off for about 4 years now, and it's worsened over the last year. The pain is significantly bad in the base of my thumbs (the fleshy bit) in both my hands, and my fingers in both hands ache as well. Gripping or carrying heavy things hurt, so much so that now I can't hold my coffee cup through the handle, or grip a mop without having 1-2 days of pain following it. 

I've tested for rheumatoid arthritis (RA and Anti-CCP negative) and have tested for various nutritional deficiencies. All my reports keep coming back completely normal and my rheumatologist says he's not entirely sure it's RA. The base of my thumbs don't swell much but they are often warm. 

Another doc now suggests I might have a radial nerve entrapment in my neck, which could be the cause of the muscle weakness in the hands. He's suggested I wear a neck collar. I was wondering if anyone has had this and if there are ways to investigate further? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you! 

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

It doesn’t have to be RA.. That is  just saying you don’t have ur immune system attacking your joints.

It could very well just be osteoarthritis which happens from aging as the cartiledge between our joints wears down. Your age?

It could also just be a case of repetitive stress injuries from using your hands a lot to clean which thickens tendons over time and causes pain as it gets trapped in your pulley system.

Unless pain radiates from ur neck down ur arms completely, I think that diagnosis is off.

Rest your hands for a few weeks. Do cold water dips with your hands (10 seconds only in icy water) 5-7xs a day and take anti inflammatory pills when flare is bad.

Also take and add turmeric, glucosamine, flax to your diet 

• Edited

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am 30 years old. I have been told it's not osteoarthritis by a rheumatologist. However I had an unexplained illness 4 years ago (when all of this started) which has apparently caused nerve damage. The doc suspects it may have been Guillian Barre syndrome which has left long term nerve damage. The muscles in my hands and fingers are quite weak and my hands are numb frequently, I have also been told I have Restless Leg Syndrome as my legs tingle and twitch a lot at night.

I have been told to wear a cervical collar and am taking vitamin B supplements which might help with the nerve damage (if that's what it is). My blood tests etc. are all clear though so not really sure if I'm on the right track. Do you have any suggestions?

(Also taking glucosamine/collagen supplements and turmeric is part of diet.)

Thanks,

P

• Posted

hello there

sorry to hear your suffering

ahhh.. yes perhaps u caught a bacterial/viral infection? flu shot? herpes zoster? regardless, some peoples immunes system react (GB syndrome) and an attack of the nervous system occurs. this sounds lije what has happened to you

i dint have this syndrome myself but here immunoglobin therapy worls for some and gabapentin.. those all meds have their own risks

good luck

• Edited

hi priya how are you now? i have the same problems

• Posted

hey, i have the same problems... any news about your symptoms?

• Posted

not really they seem to come and go. seem to have the need to crack my fingers atm and clench my teeth. how are you?

• Posted

Hi Priya

How are you? Have you found any answers to what was the cause of your problem and did it go away?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.