Hand pain linked to kidney problems?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone had hand pain linked to kidney problems?

Thanks smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My dad has stage 5 CKF and he has been complaining of pain in arms and alot of the times says his whole body aches.
  • Posted

yes I do more like severe cramp also in other limbs very painful I have had it since I started PD dyalisis can wake up crying in pain hope you get yourself sorted
  • Posted

Hello, Emily. I have stage five CKD with a GFR of only six and I suffer in various ways because of this. My hands feel really creaky and arthriticky and I sometimes have trouble holding on to things, even down to cutlery. In addition to that my feet swell during the day and become very hot and hard; I have a permanent headache -- not a crippling one but bad enough, and I suffer appalling cramps in my legs when I try to sleep. Sleep itself is difficult yet I always feel tired. Overall, it isn't so much actual pain as a sort of ever-lasting achiness which affects just about everything I do or try to do.

So if you are suffering like me you have my sympathy! Please let us know how you get on, and God bless you.

• Posted

Bert, have you tried a magnesium supplement?  It can help with night cramps.  Also stretch your calf muscles before getting into bed.  My GP showed me how to do this with hands on the wall and moving forwards and backwards keeping the feet still but stretching the calf muscles.  Also have your Vit D tested if you haven't already done so.  I am advised by my renal consultant to have a  3 month course of Vit D each winter to boost my Vit D levels and then to rely on the sunshine in the summer months.

• Posted

Hi Emily

I'm at stage 5 with a GFR of 9.

I had pains, cramps and swelling in the early days.. but I have found that a decrease in caffeine has really helped.

Hope this helps.

Caroline

• Posted

Emily, no, not so far in my case.  But those with kidney disease are known to be at risk of Vit D deficiency and such deficiency can cause pain in various parts of the body, so if you haven't had a blood test do ask for one.  If you are deficient, a supplement will restore your levels to normal and hopefully your hand pain will improve.  What is your kidney problem, for instance have you been diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease, low eGFR etc?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.