hand tremor

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi has anyone else experience this hand tremor when lowering thee dosage of amitriptyline please x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

~This is a known withdrawal effect when coming off Amitrip. It depends what your dosage daily has been and for how long you took it. It also depends on how quickly you are dropping doses. Drugs like this need to be tapered off slowly by small amounts, 10% at a time is best taking time for your central nervous system to adjust in between cuts. If you are coming down, say, 25% at a time you will get some withdrawals which could be hot/cold sweats, tremors, itching etc. Are you on capsules or tablets? If capsules there is a way to taper more slowly and I can tell you how to do this if this is what you would like to do. It is of course a personal decision to make with (hopefully) the backing and help of your GP. I hope things work out the best way possible for you
    • Posted

thankyou for getting back to me and the go agreed to drop 20mg from 50mg to 30 mg over two weeks 50 to40 for a week then 40 to 30 think the with drawel had hit me today felt a bit like this on the first drop only lasted two days just don't like the tremer lol x

• Posted

sorry lve iam on tablet she's give 3 10mgs to take a day now x

• Posted

I think she has you tapering too much too soon Louise. Stay on the dose you are on until you stabilise - if you don't feel stable then wait until you do before dropping again. Remember that your GP probably has never taken this drug and has no idea of the withdrawals you are getting. Take charge yourself if you feel able to and just wait longer between drops or take smaller drops. The central nervous system takes time to adjust to the lower dose and the brain tends to 'cry out' for more rather than less, hence the hand tremors. If the withdrawals do not clear up by 2/4 weeks the only thing I can suggest is to up your dose a little until you feel better and then start to taper again but less % over longer period of time. Listen to what your body is telling you and be led by that. Hope you stabilise soon

• Posted

thankyou lve been on 30mg now 6 days so think it has hit me today really tired can't think straight tremers and anxity is high try to have a early night sleep it off hopefully lvex

• Posted

hi guys ive was on 200mg of amitrip for years doctor has now cut me down to 150 can not sleep really bad palpatains sweats all the time mainly at night very tearfull do i go back to the doctors and tell them as 200 was a very high dose dont think they will up it really fed up im only getting about 2 or 3 hours a night doing my head in 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.