Happy Birthday New Hip...2 months old today!!!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a hip replacement on the first of June, these are the things I can now do:

1 I can sleep normally on my back and my operated side.

2. I can get up from a chair without any pain.

3.I can go up and down a flight of stairs using the bannister with minimal disconfort.

4.I can sit down/drive  for a long time without any pain 

5 I don't have to take any medicine at all

Things I still cannot do:

1. reach down behond my knee on the operated side.

2. long walks without feeling pain the following day

3 short walks without feeling a light pain /discomfort

4 moving my knee up to my chest

5.sleep on my not operated side

I am still improving in many ways but I am been told that  it takes up to a year to reach a "full recovery"...

I am writing all this not to show off but to help who is in the beginning of this adventure called "hip replacement".

Best wishes to all of you, wonderful people writing in this forum.

Ella

4 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Very good news to hear. There is life after thr.

Its good you posted your healing progress for others who have just started this journey. 

Continued success on a positive journey of life and healing!

• Posted

Hi Hope4cure,

Thank you for your kind words. When did you have your op?

Are you recovering well?

Best wishes

Ella

• Posted

Dear Ella, 

What a wonderful and encouraging post - especially listing all the things you CAN do - all the other things will just naturlly follow ... 

As said here by so many others, we all heal at a different rate - it is such a personal journey even though we might have had similar surgery ... 

And for all of us who are waiting for our 2nd THR, we are in it together - now isn't that a lovely thought... we are not alone !

Have a wonderful Sunday 

• Posted

Dearest Renee,

Thank you for your kinds words...How are you? How was your first night in your new home? Take care, take it easy and let us know how you are getting on.

Big hugs

Ella 

• Posted

Thanks for sharing that Ella. It's great encouragement for me at nearly 5 weeks and wondering if I will ever be normal again. Interesting that you can sleep on operated side and not on non operated side. I cannot sleep on either side yet.
    • Posted

Dear Attractac,

I am convinced we will be normal again...A friend of mine had her replacement a year ago, and she told me that for her after nine months it was like returning to normality...Another friend of mine told me that he doesn't even remember he has a "fake" hip...He only feels a little pain after climbing quickly a lot of stairs!!!!

Hardly anyone writes in this forum a year after the op...unless they develop new problems; it makes me think that after a year we will be walking fast into the land of the liviing!

Big hugs

Ella 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.