Happy hemorrhoid story!

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

So I've read lots of hemorrhoidectomy horror stories and was terrified for my surgery, which was 8 days ago, but feel obligated to offer hope for others out there.   For starters, I had banding one Friday and then my full surgery the following Thursday.  I was uncomfortable those first two days, but haven't had to take any pain medication since two days post-op.  I returned to work and normal activities four days after surgery.  I've had only two painful bowel movements, one of which left me pretty uncomfortable for several hours, but nothing that I couldn't deal with.  I use two stool softeners and one dose of miralax daily and have been largely successful at keeping soft, regular bms with this protocol.  

I don't make this post to diminish the suffering of others because let's face it, this surgery and the reason we're all here talking about it is truly a pain in the ass, but I do want to share that it is possible to make it through and it might not even be as bad as what you're expecting.  Within 4 days I was very happy that I had gone through with the surgery.  Hang in there everyone; it's possible to feel good again.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Finally some positive vibes !! Good for u glad U doing good. I’m on day 6 , still got good amount of pain but no pain like the first bm was. That was the worst thing that could ever happen 😂

• Posted

Hey Dan

I understand about the first bm, lol!  I think I was so nervous and was expecting it to be so much worse than it really was that it actually made it seem a little easier, you know?  Good luck with your recovery 😀

• Posted

Yea u definitely are right. I think your a lucky one lol. I haven’t seen anyone but you say it wasn’t bad lol. And thanks   Haven’t used washroom in last 2days. I don’t know if I should push or just keep waiting. The first bowel movement was sat night. Ugh
  • Posted

Sarah so happy to hear! Now did you have internal prolapsing hemmorhoids or external or both. How many and what grade? For me, I had two internal prolapsing ones, one small and one large and I believe they were actually below the dentate line so that made things more difficult healing, pain and all that, but 2 and a half months now post op and things are about 75-80% better. 

Every operation is going to be different with the ensuing healing being specific to each person and their previous and post conditions. I am just left with anal spasming and some pain upon having a bm. There is no way I could sit for more than a few minutes at time at this point. So, just to let anyone know out there that no matter what, for the majority of people, this does end up being a happy ever after story....eventually.

• Posted

Hey there

I actually had both internal and external.  I had the banding procedure for the internal hemorrhoids and surgery was for the external.  They were considered grade 2.  I completely agree that our experiences vary greatly.  I just want people who are awaiting surgery to keep a little hope, lol!  I know I worried myself to tears a few nights before my surgery because all I read was about the life-altering pain.  While it certainly isn't the most fun you'll have, it is worth it in the end and it is possible to make it through with your sanity intact 😊  I'm so glad that you're doing so much better as well!

• Posted

Oh u had external surgery? I think most of us had the internal surgery ? Maybe that’s y you were the only one with not a lot of pain lol. I had 3 huge internal hemroids. I just wish I never got it done. I could of lived with them. All it did was cause a little bleeding, no pain or nothing, my father talked me into getting it done 😂

• Posted

Oh thanks dad, right?  Yes, my surgery was for the external ones, the surgeon banded the internal ones the week before my surgery.  It was considerably more uncomfortable, but still tolerable.  Was banding not an option for your internal hemorrhoids?  My surgeon warned me as well that this would be a horrible experience, but I like to think that maybe she was more talented than she thought and maybe I have a better pain tolerance than I thought as well.  Again, best wishes for you to feel much better very soon!
    • Posted

Oh gotcha yes mine were way to big to put  band-Aid around , and I’m sure the external are still painful. I just wonder how much different in pain it is. But I’m glad you are doing good. I can’t wait for the day I can say I’m doing good. This sucks. Yesterday pain wasn’t that bad. Today got bad again. Maybe cuz I haven’t had a bowel movement since sat night ugh. 
  • Posted

Happy for you and glad to here a good story for a change, as like you said, we here a lot of horror stories. Thanks for sharing your positive experience.
    • Posted

Hey Jay

I hope you're doing well also.   This is certainly a less than fun problem to have, but at least we all know we're on the way to feeling better, right?  

• Posted

Thank u for your positive feed. I have surgery next Monday and I'm scared. It was so good to hear positive feed back.

• Posted

Just asking, did doctor say it was mandatory to get done?  Or did he say it’s ur choice? How many internal hemroids?
    • Posted

Hi Theresa

I hope that your experience is a positive one as well!  Try not to worry too much and know that you'll get through it.  Start with the stool softeners and miralax now to get a head start on making your bms nice and soft.  It really has helped me a lot!  If you have any questions or find yourself worried and wanting to talk, I'm happy to listen!

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I have a fissure tear with external hems. I've been in pain every BM. I have rock hard stools because i have rectocele, prolapse of the colon. The constipation gave me the fissure

. So I'm getting three surgeries Monday. Rectocele @ fissure @ hems. The Tear is a killer.

• Posted

I couldn't imagine going to work 4 days after. I had externals @ a fissure. I still can't sit. My stomach from all the stool softeners keep me running but that's a good thing. I still have stitches and still swollen but not bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.