Happy Vitamin D Day

Posted , 5 users are following.

This just in from a major Vitamin D organization in the U.S. 

Happy Vitamin D Day!

Vitamin D Day is today, November 2nd. Vitamin D Day is led by several organizations, all with the same passion for vitamin D and public health.

The goal is to increase awareness and knowledge on vitamin D in an effort to help end the vitamin D deficiency pandemic.

Today, we hope that you will help spread awareness and knowledge on vitamin D and take action to improve and maintain your own vitamin D status.

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Joy,

Maybe I knew this already on some level because this is my second time sitting in the sun, well T least my legs and feet are.

Plus, I took 8,000 units of vitamin D today

in January this year my vitamin D level was 37, but my goal is to get it up to 50.

Now, more than ever I am a sun watcher and know that sun is out all year at some point.

My goal is to be in the sun every day when it out, even if it's cool weather.

Supplements are good. However, I truly believe there is something that an does not even know about that the sun gives to us.

Enjoying Vitamin D day

• Posted

Just know the winter sun and summer sun are much opposite....Vit D more so in the winter months is needed by all those above the equator...

I don't do sun like I did in my early life as the cancer issue on the skin.

• Posted

I went from 26 to 52 in less than three months, I took supplements and sat out in the sun. I read somewhere it takes a long time to increase vit D with supplements, but fifteen minutes in the sun for six days is the same as supplements for fifty two days. I don't know how true that is. Our local pharmacy has been doing vit D testing and the assistant pharmacist was 26. He is Indian and I believe darker skinned people seem to be not so good at absorbing vit D.
    • Posted

Darker people don't absorb and they need to be aware of that.

K2 is the last research needed for Vit D absorption.

I was a stinkin 16 in 2006 when I finally was woke up to this deficiency crisis.everyone is on computers and not getting their sun...I came in from sun in my early 50's due to the cancer issues on the skin.   I got up to 80 before hip replacement in 2010 and levels dropped 40 pts from the surgery, I knew that could happen.....so I've been working my way up again.

• Posted

I read somewhere that half the population of UK is vit D deficient, I could believe that the way people sit inside playing with there phones and iPads.
    • Posted

Plus too, I don't think the UK is a great sunny warm country, I live in sunny calif, we have sun probably 360 days a year and I was deficient as I can't take the sun anymore since my early 50's.....one has to be OUT in it and almost nude to get adequate  D from Sun...

And yes I've been on the computer too since 2005 when I finally got a desk top at home. 

Most in the not sunny states in the US, I'm sure are deficient unless they are now supplementing...and forget the milk that's a non truth that we get Vit D adequate any way, I don't touch cow's milk anyway.  Some cheese but mostly hard cheese vs soft cheeses.....and I do like a hard goat milk cheese. 

• Posted

I think the maximum vit D we can get from food is about 20% it is sun and supplements. 
    • Posted

Joy,

I understand that we can have too much of anything. You right.

Life is about balance that's for sure.

The diseases and poor health caused by low vitamin D levels is a silent epidemic that most people are not aware of.

Bottom line it behooves all of us to make sure our vitamin D level is adequate. Vitamin supplements work.

• Posted

Joy 

You really brought of your Vitamin D quickly.

I have come to realize that intake of Vitamin D is needed because we use it everyday.

Has anyone used the vitamin D patch with vitamin K?

• Posted

There is a mixed theory that the sun is needed esp with skin cancer problems to help you fight it. 

Wilma

• Posted

All my skin problems in the sun ended when I stopped using sun creams! I just use coconut oil and have no problems with the sun any more. I also drink RAW organic cows milk and supplement Vit D.
    • Posted

So wish we could get raw milk here. Its just so good for you.  
    • Posted

There are many raw fooders here in Santa Monica, CA and the powers of the dairy world are forever trying to close them down....this includes raw milk...
    • Posted

Thats got to be a move in the right direction and really god for you that you have good quality produce and support from good people all wanting the same great out come. 

Its a sad day that has arrived now that our foods are policed for our own good?  

Wish there was stuff like that available near here. 

Wilma. 

• Posted

As I see it since living here 49 yrs, Calif is a very progressive state in about all we have and do.    

I don't drink any dairy milk, primarly use coconut oil and milks....almond milk not so much as some other health folks talked about almonds being goitrogenic.   So I choose walnuts and cashews when I buy some nuts....hardly ever peanuts....

• Posted

I love nuts. There is an Italian shop nearby which sells large boxes of cashews, almonds and pistachios, all unsalted, at a very good price. I think you can even buy a sack of almonds!!
    • Posted

look up almonds and the thyroid....I wouldn't overdose on almonds...I don't overdose on any nuts....moderation for me...
    • Posted

I have four almonds a day and two brazil nuts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.