HAPPY with test results

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been on 75mg Levo since December. When first diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism last July was put on 25m. Then 50mg from October to December 2017. Just got my latest results today: TSH 0.01 (was 6.33) T4 20 (was 7.9)

My gp is anxious that 0.01 TSH is too low and i might get heart palpitations. So will have another blood test in 4 weeks.. I feel so much better, even dropping weight at long last . I feel this is the right result, butmy gp is mmore cautious

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

That’s fantastic news that you feel better!  But that TSH  off the scale low so your doc is right to be cautious. It can take a while to find the right dose so hang in there. When did you start feeling better?
    • Posted

It's been a fortnight since i've started to enjoy doing everyday tasks more, i feel younger, i have motivation and hope. I can only put this down to finally getting thyroid back to normal - although TSH is suppressed at 0.01.

What i'd like is for my TSH to stabilise at 0.04 -1.0 max. and to stay on 75mg Levo since that's got me to this level, whereas 25mg, even 50mg barely shifted the figures for ages

• Posted

Well take it easy and work with your doc. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you, Dave. I was just thinking about this. My GP has asked me to see him again in 5 weeks time after blood test in 4 weeks from now. This is where i'm going to have to be extremely careful to remain calm in case he decides i need to have my dose cut back to 50mg even if i feel good. It's really important to remain calm and think rationally

• Posted

If 50mg didnt make you feel right than why have him.drop it back down. Think once you find right dose even with TSH suppressed, may be hard to drop back down to a once nonworking dose. Yeah docs get worried but if they had to walk around feeling undermedicated THEY WOULDNT SETTLE FOR IT. Maybe you can half the dose a day.or two. Wish there were at home thyroid.testing strips like in diabetes. That's what we need instead of waiting and wasting months.

• Posted

My TSH was 7.8 in November and doctor put me on 100mcg.  Early Jan.'s test showed my TSH at 0.04 and I'm taking 75mcg and miserable!  To heck with palpitations,  the itching is going to drive me insane!  My doctor finally agreed to retest in 6 weeks after I went to the dermatologist and got steroid cream that isn't touching it.  Benadryl Gel, Gold Bond Powder, Calamine Lotion....  Benadryl helps some with the itch but I can't sleep all day for the next few weeks!  

• Posted

Seems like the ppl who feel the best have a suppressed TSH. Both nontreatment and undertreatment can bring on Afib. Thyroid cancer is exploding allover the world a suppressed TSH will give you LOWEST RISK for thyroid cancer. You can keep track off your pulse yourself. Anyway Ive been supppressed for 15yrs if they lower the dose TSH raises too much FT4. FT3 drop.
  • Posted

I've been on 50 mg since November. I felt cloudy in my brain, couldn't think or concentrate. I'm 55 yr old. I felt much better after a couple months, more energy ect. 

But now I feel like I'm back where I was in November. I had my blood checked back 4 weeks ago and was told my levels are at the low end of the scale. SO. I have an appointment with my PCP tomorrow and will see if he will adjust my med maybe up to the next level dose above 50 mg. 

I feel like crap and just want to feel good again. Wish me luck. 

• Posted

I wish you luck. Having been on 75mg for several months now, my bloods show a slight rise in TSH from 0.03 to 1.56, and a lowering of T4 from 20 to 12.9, which might explain my recent tiredness and slowed metabolism. Doctor said allgood next bloods due in 3-4 months. 75mg worked well at first. Still okay but not as okay as i felt at first. Will be interesting to see results of next blood test. Might have to ask for further dose increase then. Meanwhile, need to remain patient
  • Posted

That's a big rise in TSH and drop in T4. You didnt have any change in brand of your meds. You skipped the dose until after they drew blood. You didnt take any vitamins w Vit B7 Biotin. If you keep having symptoms you dont hv to wait that long to retest or get an increase. Its hard to get such a change. In results something's not right.

• Posted

I had my appointment yesterday because I been feeling fatigued and tired ect. I've been going to weight watchers since Dec, 27, 2017 and have lost -35 lbs since starting. My dr says he contributes my tiredness to my weight loss, changing eating habits ect. I told him weight loss is suppose to promote energy which I am lacking. 

My blood work numbers taken on 3/20/18 are T4- 6.5 value, normal range is 4.5-12.5. My TSH is 2.95 value, normal range is 0.40 - 3.80, 

So to me my T4 is at the bottom of the range and could be boosted up. My Dr disagreed with me. But said we can increase your meds from 50. to 75 dose. Then come back in three months to be rechecked.

Any thoughts ? 

• Posted

Weight lost diets dont work too well with ppl w hypo disorder. It'll just SLOW YOUR METABOLISM and give you less energy. You need fats carbs protein for hypothyroidism. Hypos are the last ppl you should restrict calories..

• Posted

Mar are you saying I should say 'ta hell' with weight watchers and trying to be 200 lbs again and start eating pizza and fried clams and French fries again ? 

I miss ALL thoses foods but know my weight/food addiction will kill me if I don't change and eat healthy. In 2001, I stopped eating red meat (beef) and lost 100 lbs over a one year period and have never gone back to eating beef. I've always been healthy no blood presser issues or any other illnesses until having my thyroid checked back in Oct 2017. I was fatigued and could not hold a thought. Then I went on the medication. Felt better, was able to work long hours again. But slowly I'm close to where I was then except -35 lbs lighter.

I assume your agreeing with my Dr. that the lack of food is affecting me.   

• Posted

Yes. Everybody loses weight w weight watchers if they stick to it forever. Restricted calories slows your metabolism down especially hypothyroid. Its easy to lose 35lbs if you're OVERweight and stick to WW. But you slowed your metabolic rate and hv less energy because of it. If you go off WW w your slowed down metabolism you will gain back your weight plus some.real quick. WW is not practical for thyroid ppl you need more calories to help your thyroid function not JUNK FOOD calories HEALTHY FOOD calories not nonfat or lowfat either you need fats to help make EVERY hormone in your body not just thyroid hormones. I would do that increase in dosage you need the boost in metabolism and maybe you can find a healthy hypothyroid eating plan that is suited for hypos wout calorie restriction and more realistic to stay on wout slowing your metabolism and causing "yo-yo type diet" of a WW: weight loss/weight gain plus some the minute you stop it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.