Hard bumps behind ear and head

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so about 2 months ago I notice I had this hard bump behind my right ear. Went to the doctors and she ordered me an ultra sound. Got that done and I guess results showed it could be a swollen lymph node or a cyst. Doctor told me that if it got bigger I would have to go in to get a biopsy. I don't think it's gotten bigger, but today I noticed at the back of my head on the right side where your head kinda dips in that I feel like I have another one of these "bumps". It's freaking me out. It's also hard and I've had a headache for 4 days now. I will add I have a history of migraines, but it's been awhile since I've had one for this many days. Is this something I should be worried about? Has anyone else ever experienced this? I have a neurologist appointment on Wednesday. Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey

I am female and used to get swollen lymp nodes behind both my ears alot.

If it comes up the first thing is do not touch it as this irritates it more.

Wearing an alice hairband in my hair sometimes is the issue because the ends of the band put pressure on behind my ear and this causes inflammation.

Generally it is more down to if I have been eating rubbish - i.e. too much sugar, or being Scottish - I've had too much alcohol! I rarely drink now I hasten to add smile

I also used to suffer badly from migranes. Every month without fail it would be so bad I would be sick and then it would clear. My mum suggested to stop eating anything with white flour - bread, bagels,cakes.  I did this and have never had another migrane since I was a teenager. Only time I have a slight headache is from caffiene withdrawal if I have fogotten to have tea for a few days or I am dehydrated, or if I eat too much rubbish but it has never been as bad as it was when I was younger.

You might not identify with any of this.

If you have never had this before then something has changed.

Have you changed your diet at all?

How is your pillow? Is your head comfortable when you are sleeping at night?

My mantra to everyone here is eat healthily. Some people say to me but I do eat healthily, but I think some of us need more than just the normal healthy diet. If you want try for a couple of weeks to eat as many vegetables as possible, cut down sugar, watch fruit as this contains alot of sugar too, and alcohol if you do take this.

There is a really good diagram on this site showing where your lymph nodes are in your head.

From the home page click the Health Information tab

then the Diagrams tab

then the head and neck image

then click lymph nodes head and neck image.

Our bodies are very sensible, they tell us when something is not quite right and our lymph nodes are great at doing this. Hopefully this is something very simple and you can reduce the inflamation yourself the way I have been able to do many many times.

Good luck with your appointment. I hope this has been of some help. Please let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hey,

Thanks so much for your reply! I have been eating kinda crappy lately. I was doing quite well with my diet before. I still have this migraine today. I even have prescription migraine pills and for some reason this time it's not working. They usually help. This all kinda started when I was under a lot of stress about 5 days ago. Let's just say I was hysterical and crying my eyes out, which caused this migraine I believe, but geeze, idk why I still have it. I've been resting and taking ibuprofen every six hours and then my prescription med this morning. Still no relief. I guess I will just have to wait and see what the doctor tells me tomorrow.

• Posted

It is funny you say that I had severe stress a couple of weeks ago. I didn't get a migrane but I did feel like my head was in a vice. it took three days rest to let it relax and get back to normal. Sorry TMI. Stress does strange things to us. I also meant to add there is a group here for people with lymph issues if you want to search for that. Maybe worth having a read to see what others say. this is the abscess group so the other one may be more suitable for you. KR

• Posted

Hi

I too got around 7-8 lumps behind my ears and at the back of my head yesterday. I am really worried about them. Were the lumps painful to you too? Are these just lymph nodes swelling or something else to worry about.

Please help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.