Hard heart beats and palpitations???

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone!!! I'm a 17 year old female with some heart issues. About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with SVT and had an ablation 10 months ago. They said the ablation was successful but I've had about 8 svt episodes since then. The episodes are smaller and only last about a minute or so. My cardiologist says its gonna and I'm fine but my heart still beats so fast and so hard all the time. Even when I'm not having an SVT episode, its still beats so fast and hard from very little activity. The other day I was walking from chemistry to trig and my heart was beating pretty hard so I went to the nurse and my bpm was 165 and my blood pressure was 130/85. I wasn't running are anything. Just walking from one class to another. I also get really bad palpitations all the time. Especially at the end of the day or when my heart is slowing back down. I'm so scared that one of these times my heart is gonna stop. I don't know why it does this or how to stop it. I can handle a fast heart rate but my heart skipping beats all the time is another thing.

Can someone help me out? What causes this or how do I stop it?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello,

How many svt's did you have per year before the ablation? 8 svt's in 10 months is not bad considering I have one every 5 days. (I'm in the process of having mine looked into). As far as your heart beating fast, are you sure it is not brought on by anxiety? I have anxiety, although when I am anxious, it usually stays around 95 to 100 bpm. My resting heart rate is 60 bmp so I don't know if that factors. Also, when you are having anxiety and your heart rate is up, your blood pressure naturally will be high too. Just go back and talk your doctor about is the best advice I can give.

• Posted

I do have anxiety but it tends to happen even when I'm calm. My resting heart rate is 70 and my normal blood pressure is 125/70. My heart rate just gets really high with little exercise. Before I had the ablation I would have SVT episodes like twice a week. I do think the only reason I'm not having it as much is because I don't exercise as often. I have notice a drastic increase of palpitations though.

• Posted

Interesting, because my heart rate increases quickly when I exercise also. I was told by the NP when I was taking the nuclear stress test that my heart rate jumped quickly when I started the treadmill. It could be in my case my weight. I am about 55 pounds heavier than my high school weight. I find too that if I don't exercise and my weight is down, I don't get a lot of SVTs either. My normal BP is around 122/80. My SVT's started with just 1 a year, then 5, then 11, then 36, and this year it is up to 50. I have chronic anxiety and I can tell you that it can strike even when you are calm, even when I am trying to go to sleep, but I have that controlled with medicine, although my anxiety heart rate never gets to 100. If your beats were 165 bpm than that is considered an SVT. My SVT's are usually between 125 and 150. Most go away within 30 seconds, a few last longer. Just talk it over with your doctor. Hope you get the peace you are looking for.

• Posted

Have you had the SVT attacks, after the ablation, recorded on ecg? I would suggest doing a 24 hour ecg if you havn't yet.

You can try magnesium supplements for your palpitations. You can also talk to your doctor about beta-blockers.

Im 4 months out of my ablation and i'm also having many palpitations. I havnt had svt, but unfortunately ive had atrial fibrillation handful of times after my ablation, which I never had before. 

• Posted

No, I have been not been able to catch it during an ecg. I also have tried beta-blockers before and they make me feel awful! I've tried to avoid them as much as possible. Did you have an ablation for svt and then had afib afterwards or did you have an ablation for afib?

• Posted

I had an ablation for svt (avnrt), and then got afib after. It feels quite different from svt. Im only 22 by the way.
    • Posted

an excellent reason not to have an ablation!  One of the reasons why I'm avoiding one.

• Posted

If you don't mind me asking, what does afib feel like? Or what's the difference in feeling between SVT and afib?

• Posted

My SVT was much faster, around 200 bpm, and had a very regular hard and fast rythm. Afib feels more like the heart is beating irregular and not as fast. Usually 100-130 bpm. Kind of feel like the heart is shaking and quivering
    • Posted

Does it feel like your heart is skipping beats a bunch? Like palpitations?
    • Posted

No not really. But my afib often starts with a series of palpitations

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.