Hard lymph nodes for years

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am a 28 year old male. I first noticed I had 2 hard lymph nodes over 10 years ago when I was in high school. One is directly below my left ear and is less than a centimeter. The other is by my left clavicle and is about 1 cm. Back then I had bronchitis at least once a year and twice had very slight pneumonia. I've always had a slight case of asthma that causes wheezing at night and coughs when working out. Other than that I've been healthy. Anyways, about 6 years ago I finally decided to get my 2 lymph nodes checked out by a GP. He first put me on antibiotics, then, when they didn't go down, ordered a CT scan that was clear. He told me I had nothing to worry about and sometimes people just get this. He told me to watch them and make sure I don't get more and the ones I have don't change in size or shape. Fast forward to today and the 2 lymph nodes are still there, exact same size, shape, and texture as before. Absolutely no change in them in 10 years. Is this something I should be concerned about? It is something that stays in the back of my mind because I was never told what exactly caused them. I'm hoping that because there has been no change its nothing to worry about. Has anyone experienced the same or similar things? Thanks in advance.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had a bump on the side of my neck for about 8 years now. It is weird..when it is very hot out it gets bigger and when it is cold (Like right now) it is barely noticeable. I have also noticed I now have one on the right ear, hard not soft. And I have a few soft ones on my head. Now I noticed the ones on my head about six months ago after dying my hair (mind you with the SAME exact hair she I always use) and after I dyed it my head was itching like nobodies business. So I don't know if it was caused by the hair dye? I am soo worried because I am 8 weeks pregnant and am freaking out. (My mom thinks it is because I am soo tiny,100 lbs at 5'4,she thinks I can just feel every little bump on me.) I need help!

• Posted

I also have noticed a few up my neck as well..soft ones they come and go?
  • Posted

Hey Aaron,

I know that this occurrence was a while ago now. But I have a friend who has a similar thing behind his right ear and is also in high school. they found two other lymph nodes around the groin area as well. However he explains the lymph node behind his right ear to be painless, unmoving and rock hard... he hasn't had any other symptoms apart the obvious lump behind his ear that has been there a while. Ive been researching manically and could relate to the fact google always has the worst case scenario and was glad to see this... I was just wondering if this is most likely to be similar to what you had and if you had any other problems or symptoms??

Any information your willing to share would be much appreciated thank you!!

• Posted

Hi. I'm glad to know that some people are having the same scenario as me. I'm just turning 17 this year and I found a lump in the right side of my neck for about almost 3-4 years ago and I found another small one in the back of my neck about 1-2 years ago. I had them checked by doctors and nurses and they all told me that the lump in my neck is just my vein or my lymph nodes. I'm not convinced that it is my vein because it really feels like my lymph node. I have no other symptoms at all but my two lumps are still there. My concern is really the one in my neck since it is quite bigger than a bean, it is non-movable, not rock hard but also not really visible. You can only see and feel it fully if I turn my neck to the other side fully. I convinced my mother to get it checked properly again by a GP to make sure that it is really nothing to worry about and only professionals can truly diagnose us. Hope the best for all of us!

• Posted

I'm 25, going to be 26 in April. When I was 6 I had 3 lymph nodes removed for a biopsy. The first was taken from my neck (right side) which was so big it caused my head to literally tilt to the left. I got it removed and within 2 days had another one pop up in the exact same location the exact same size. Along with that came one behind my right ear. Both were immediately removed and evaluated. The results came back clean. Fast foward to 12, I had another lymph node removed from my groin (left side) the size of a walnut/golf ball. I recently broke my sacrum and although the MRI came back negative for any anatomical problems, the MRI did indicate that I have unhealthy bone marrow in one of my vertebrae. I'm currently being tested for a plethora of things due to the MRI finding and the fact that I have been living with rock hard, swollen lymph nodes that have not increased or decreased in size for the past 19 years. Whenever I get sick and a new one pops up, no matter the size, it does not go down. I currently have about 15-20 swollen lymph nodes ranging from my neck to my groin. The look on every oncologists face when I tell them: "I've literally had 15-20 swollen lymph nodes that do not go down for over 15 years, pretty much my entire life" is pretty remarkable because they have never heard/seen such a thing. I was diagnosed with idiopathic hyper active lymph nodes. The reason I'm telling you this is because although it may be frightening, sometimes the answer is there is no answer. I'd recommend you definitely going for annual check ups because at a minimum, it'll help give you peace of mind.

• Posted

I had swollen lymph nodes for over 4 years and had biopsy on one but all negative My sister was having the same problems and fianlly did a blood test and found out she had parrasites I went and had the blood test and had the same thing got antibiotics Clindamycin 300mg 2 capsules every 8 hours for 14 days and leucovorin calcium 10 mg and Pyrimethamine 25mg tab for 2 weeks and it worked my lymph nodes swelling went away. They did test me for cat scratch fever but didnt go further on testing for Toxoplasma AB IGG,S . a parrasite from cat litter but my sister who tested positive doesnt have cats or cat litter ..I have cats

• Posted

hi,

i've had a lymph-node raise on my left side of my neck since 2006.

I can't remember if i had it check. i would have though so as at the time i panicked. obviously its benign. i've had blood teste over the years. I've had quite a few blood test over the last 18 months for completely unrelated issues. all came back fine. It's the only gland that has stuck out.

sounds like yours is benign as well. an explanation would be nice but if tests come back normal, you can certainly breath easy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.