hard small lump on finger joint

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have RA and I take Methotrexate, I have developed a small hard lump on the middle joint of one of my fingers, I have woken a couple of times in the night and my finger has been bent and wont straighten, when I get up in a morning the stiffness gradually disappears, although the small lump remains and although I can make a fist it feels tight in my knuckle so restricts me from making a fist completely, any ideas what this is?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

They are called; Nodules.

Many RA people get them; they can be painful or not, they can be the size of a pea or the size of a decent sized nut ..... Like most things with RA, they seemingly can come and go. Well, certainly on myself they are not a fixed object, definitely transient in nature..

Personally I have a severe case of RA that is all encompassing and it was ultra sudden onset, literally overnight a decade + ago now. It is in all my joints, in my eyes and digestive system. But I didn't start to get nodules until about year 5.

Presently I have a nodule under my left thumb joint, it arrived about 3 days ago. The RA was flaring in that joint, couldn't get it near warm water and the nodule came up ... Now the RA has moved again into my right shoulder and the nodule on my thumb appears to be dissipating already.

Myself I've been on most every RA drug you can take, from Methotrexate to Leflunomide to nearly all the 'Mab' biological infusions such as Rituximab ..... Unfortunately Mab's do not work for me and due to my just surviving Sepsis in 2018 I can now only take a low dose of Leflumonide + prednisone steroid .....it seems to make little difference to the nodules what I take.

Good fortune to you .... Try to ignore it all and just do what you can.

• Posted

Hi Carole

Some years ago I had a similar issue. The nodule on my small finger was not painful. However, it was really annoying as it would always get in the way if I was reaching into my bag.

Depending in the size it may be possible to reduce it by surgery .

You will have to ask your doctor/consultant if this could be done.

• Posted

I have several of them and fortunately they aren't painful. Mine started about 10 years before my RA diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.