Hard stool

Posted , 4 users are following.

I may have posted this before but am trying again as there may be someone who didn't see the original. My problem is that in spite of drinking plenty of water and taking Lazido my stool seems to be very think and difficult to pass. I might mention that having piles is not helpful. I keep taking Dulcoease which is getting very expensive and wonder if anyone has any suggestions food wise which would help. I am obviously not constipated and very occasionally get diarrhoea which is a relief when it occurs. i am supposed to have diverticulitis but cant think that is the problem. I am at my wits end with this. Can anyone suggest something please.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Have you tried a bran cereal? or prunes? or a combination of them.

• Posted

I have certainly tried prunes but never gave bran a thought. will but Branflakes next. Thanks.

• Posted

Diverticula disease can cause constipation and bran is always recommended for this. Are you having your 5 a day? of fruit and veg? Dont eat too much bran at first. Gradually increase until you find you are regular again.

• Edited

hi bianca, ouch that sounds painful! i think maybe you should ask to see your doctor and say it's an emergency, say exactly what you've said here about your bowels are doing and for laxido, which can be upped until your bowels really soften or fybogel that works better! good luck. x

• Edited

Hi,

Are you taking any medication? Some medicines cause constipation, so does eating a lot of meat.

If the stools are hard, they may be compacted, which is kind of constipation. Have you had any tests?

I have heard that Milk Thistle tincture helps, but be careful taking it with other medicines.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.