Hard Swollen Lymph Nodes for years

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have this very foggy memory of when I first noticed a bump on the back of my head in the summer a couple years ago (not very sure how many years ago though). I showed my mom and she said it was nothing to worry about probably a cyst and said she'll call the doctor but never did. Last year while I was stressing out about possibly having breast cancer (I don't have breast cancer though, I was going through hormones and thought I had breast cancer at 12 rolleyes ) and I somehow remembered the bump again it and checked on it. I'm not even sure if it got bigger from the first time I noticed it bc I could barely remember, but I do remember stressing out so much about it when I remembered it was there last year. My mom and I went to the doctor and he wasn't worried, said it was some gluten problem (he told me he had the same thing) and I went back home. But it didn't feel right bc I searched online and no one else had the problem. I mean if we both had the problem then shouldn't I at least find someone else with the same problem? So I asked my mom again and for some reason we decided to go to the same doctor a couple months later and he gave me a totally different diagnosis! I even forgot what he said, but he totally forgot I had visited him a couple months ago and ignored me when I said it's been there for (probably) two years. My mother doesnt think anything is wrong with it, refuses to at least research my problem and gets angry when I talk to her about it bc she claims I bring it up too much. I asked my dad to take me but he keeps pushing it away and says he'll find another doctor another time and he'll talk to me another time about it and we never get to talk about it. My parents are kind of struggling with money right now so I guess finding another doctor and all wouldn't help but they should at least be worried!!

And my symptoms are I have two lymph nodes in the back of my head. The right side is smaller than the left and actually the one on my left really scares me because there's like some dent in the middle of it but it's still connected and I think they might be matted lymph nodes !!!! i really don't know and I'm so scared and I've been crying and freaking out and worrying but my parents aren't listening to me!!!!! Both are hard, the right is a little bit movable while the left barely moves if I push on it!! There is also one in my armpit that I noticed last year, small, movable and soft, I don't think it has grown either so I don't worry about that one as much as the one in the back of my head. I don't think i have anymore lymph nodes. None of the other symptoms (fever, night sweats, weight loss etc.).

And I had this lice infestation (ikr it's gross) so maybe that caused it. But the left node in the back of my head scares me to death and no one is listening to me sad. I don't want to ask my mom anymore bc she will get mad and what's the point of asking my dad since he's going to push it aside.

And if I had to guess how long the one in the back of my head has been there for I'd say 2-3 years, though I'm not sure. I mean wouldn't I at least have some troubling symptoms if it's been there for three years? Anyways, help me out and give me all the knowledge you know about this so I can convince my parents, I'm really desperate !!!!!!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I wrote a lot sad(
  • Posted

sometime lymph nodes dont go back to normal, because they have been stressed too much. Having said that, if you see it grow bigger or painful, then it will be time to consult with a doctor. 
  • Posted

I have a bump on the back of my head like that since I was very little. My parents took me to the doctor and he said everything was fine. I was young enough to have to recollection. I've had it for at least 15 years and it's still there so maybe it is nothing

• Posted

Thank you for replying and hopefully u guys get this comment. But I've read online something about slow growing lymphomas which are easily treatable but not curable, is there a chance I can tell whether or not I have this without going to the doctor? It's really scaring me

• Posted

Hi how are you? I have the same issue my occipital lymph node is swollen and im so afraid, i dont have any other symptomps but my anxiety is so bad sad
    • Posted

Hey sorry for the late reply, but what are the characteristics of your lymph node. Is it hard, does it move, how big is it, etc. ?
  • Posted

Hi Pam! I'm 16 and I have a quite similar scenario with you. It's just my lumps are in the right side of my neck (this is quite bigger than a pea) and the other small one is in the right side back of my neck. I got the big one checked by some doctors and nurses and they said it's nothing (just my vein or my lymph nodes). But these days my anxiety came back because I remembered about my lumps again. I also have no symptoms but the lumps are still there after a long time (3-4 years I think). My Mom also keeps brushing my off telling that I'm just overthinking. But yesterday, I made her feel it and she decided to bring me to a doctor again. I don't know if this will help you but I hope you will feel better than someone has the same scenario with you (I know the feeling thinking that you're alone with your symptoms). Just make sure to keep an eye in the lumps and visit your doctor again to know what it really is.

• Posted

hey, sorry its been a while since i have been here. i still havent convinced my parents to take me to the doctor but i think after my parents come back from their trip im going to get my sister to really convince them. but, anyways, what did your doctor say from that visit? and what are the characteristics of your lymph nodes (hard, movable, painful etc.)?

• Posted

if any of you guys are still active, my ENT said its too small for it to be a problem. he didnt check my armpit lymph node as it wasnt in his field. He suggested i get the armpit lymph node checked by another doctor but my parents dont want to. should i be worried about the armpit lymph node?

• Posted

Hi Pam! I wish I saw this thread months ago. I'm 28 yr old female, been struggling with lymph nodes in my head/neck area for a year now. I've had them checked by a bunch of diff doctors, and I've had ultrasounds done on them too. All the Drs believe mine are swelling due to acne and dermatitis I get on my scalp! Crazy right? It kind of makes sense though bc my nodes tend to go down and disappear and then all of sudden I'll have a bad breakout and they all pop up again.

• Anyway, the point is that I've learned lymph nodes can swell for the most minor reasons. We tend to associate them with sinister things, but in reality they can swell from any kind of skin inflammation or irritation (like acne).
      • I had a swollen lymph node in my armpit back in my teens, I figured out it was from shaving irritation lol. I started using better razors and cream and then they didn't swell anymore!
    • Posted

Oh also, among the Drs I saw was an Oncologist (I wanted an expert opinion lol). And she told me the main red flag for lymph nodes is size. As long as they stay normal size (like a marble) and don't get bigger than 2-3cm (golf ball size), then they are not worrisome. She told me I could have 15 swollen lymph nodes for years and as long as they are all normal sized she wouldn't be worried.

• Posted

hey! thats really nice to hear, since i dont think mine are bigger than 2 cm, but the main reason I've been worried bc i feel like they've changed over the years I've had them. i also get scabs on my scalp and sometimes bumps from shaving wrong in my armpit so maybe thats the reason they dont go down?? but after the visit ive felt less anxious but im still eager to know whether or not my armpit node is a problem

• Posted

• What do you mean by they have changed over the years?
      • And yeah I get the same thing on my scalp! It's like a psoriasis/dermatitist. I get flakey dandruff spots that when I scratch it'll be raw and a scab. My Dr thinks thats related to my lymph nodes swelling, as well as acne I get occasionally.
    • Posted

I feel like the shape of the one in the back of my head has slightly changed bc it feels like theres a dent in the middle of it, and the one in my armpit I'm not sure bc I've barely touched or examined but i feel like they might've gotten slightly bigger over the years. I told my ENT about the armpit one and the change, but he didn't checked my armpit lymph node, only the ones on the back of my head (i dont even think it counts as checking because he couldnt even find them), since he said he only examines the head and neck region, and he said I should go to another doctor to get that checked but my parents definitely don't want to take me to anymore doctors. Also, unlike yours, my lymph nodes don't swell down or swell up. Sorry for the late reply, I stopped worrying for a few weeks so I didn't check until now and i realized you replied.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.