Hard to breathe - Does fibro affect the lungs?

Posted , 7 users are following.

My fibro symptoms came 2015 and was dx 2017. Ever since then I've had terrible asthma and now mild sleep apnea. 

I have been to multiple heart doctors and a pulmonologist. I've been through a plethora of tests and they all come back normal (for which I'm grateful) BUT I still feel like it's hard to breathe!! Along with the breath issues comes PVCs (heartbeat skips - which also started w my fibro). I was told the CPAP machine would make my breathing better but it hasn't helped. 

It's driving me nuts!! It comes and goes. My chest will feel heavy. Sometimes so heavy I use my rescue inhaler and go to the ER for steroid shots and breathing treatments that really don't do anything other than make my PVCs worse.

What else can I do? Who else can I see? Does anyone else experience this at all? Is it the muscles? It's not pain making it hard to breathe, either.

Any advice would be amazing. Thank y'all.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh I feel for you , having fibro is bad enough without having the rest of the ailments you have , sorry I’m no help I feel out of breath here and there but I found out it’s anxiety , please keep going to docs or a@e till someone gets to the bottom of it 
  • Posted

Hi. Yes, as Jeannie mentions, Anxiety can cause these awful symptoms. Our nervous system is usually compromised when we have Fibromyalgia. So perhaps controling your worries and stress related issues, can probably help a great deal. I have had the same type of symptoms as you. It can be scary, but with all the tests that you have had sweetie, I would not be overly concerned. Anything that affects our breathing can ultimately contribute to our having asthma or even Sleep Apnea. Stress especially. Dairy products can be a big allergy source as well, I have found. I try to employ the Boteyko method for my asthma and I rarely have to use a pump. There are many things you can do to help yourself in a holistic approach Hayhue. Try not to worry so much and try different strategies to manage your worry and stress. Wishing you better days girl! Maggie x
  • Posted

I don't know the answer either, but my dr is giving me all tests, too, because I am having low oxygen all the time.  So low I have to carry around an oxygen machine all the time now.  I did have asthma but not that bad, and I have had Polymyalgia ,too, but fibromyalgia has been with me for 30 years.  I also have to sleep a lot after being somewhat active.  Weird.

• Posted

My oxygen level is actually great it was 102 at my last pulmonologist visit last week that's why I'm so confused. I hope the machine isn't too much of a hassle for you and that it helps you feel better!

• Posted

Sadly I have no advice, but I have been out of breath every time I walk any where for years. I constantly have to stop to catch my breath again and it has never improved. I have never had any tests done. I have had it for 22 years and I am still here tho.

​I always have to stop and admire the view. Its amazing how much more I see along the way nowdays.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.