hard to swollow

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm having to do like double swollow to get stuff down at the minute feel the back of my throat where my tonsil is may be restricted it feels dry wjen I swollow even with drink or spit it's horrible it's causing me stress iv had a emotional day and a lot of crying due to a loss but other than that they is no reason really what I can think has caused this unless it's a medical problem as I am amd have been having breathigh problems I'm guessing maybe related again to anxit I just don't know has anybody else experience this through anxoety or know what will ease it I tried a cup of tea and juice with water ect still im having to double swollow and try my best to get my swollowed working 😢 feel totally freaked again I don't need this right now

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Aw Steph it's never ending is it? Or rather that's what it feels like! One thing after another. There's a name for what you're experiencing I think. It's called globus hystericus or the hysterical lump. In another words it's a muscle in your throat that goes into spasms because of what?. You've got it in one......anxiety! Seems to be another symptom I'm afraid. Acceptance is what you're aiming for. At first just say it to yourself and keep saying it to yourself! The word acceptance brings a wee bit of calm not that you will feel it at first but every wee bit of calm helps. E.
    • Posted

Thank you once again hun ! Iv been crying so hard I probably have made the muscle stiff it's scary though and my mouth feels dry and throat like the day after you burn your tounge feeling I guess it's from anxiety and emotion I will try to take your kind and great advice once again xx
    • Posted

Anxiety itself makes you thirsty. Mouth is always dry. Just keep water handy to sip. I think you're right re crying too. Good for general health anyway.  I soooooo feel for you! I remember a while ago I had a burning feeling from my mouth to my stomach. It felt almost cold if that makes sense.   Could feel everything going all the way down even my breath. Had it for 3 weeks. Still get it ocassionally. I used rennies  a few times but did my best to accept and ignore and it finally went. E.
    • Posted

Thats strange I had that feeling before although mine.lasted about half a day not as long as that bless you Deffo anxoety or something though I keep sipping water it's still dry keep getting that sharp dryness aswell now if I keep my mouth open.for like 5 minutes but thank you for putting my mind at rest xx
  • Posted

swallowing problems like that are very common with anxiety, it was my primary symptom for a long long time.  the only advice a doc will give is dont think about it, which is too simplistic. when the root anxiety lessens, so too will these problems, but its hard not to focus on i know
  • Posted

Had exactly the same thing, it made me have panic attacks for a week and caused me to hyperventilate, but let me tell you, it is just a sensation. It's not actually a lump it just feels like there is. Mine lasted for 2 weeks I think but if you can get into your head that it's not a real lump you will feel far better. It's all to do with anxiety... Which I never even knew I had. I'm only 16 but believe me, I know.
    • Posted

You can diminish it with a couple of hours if you just accept it's not real. I promise you, it isn't real.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.