Hardened Stool constipated

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi so I've been pretty constipated over the last couple months and I believe it's because I have hardened stool that's stuck. What should I do? I bought miralax but I haven't used any yet, wondering if there's a better option for me? I don't have severe pain just random discormfort here and there in my lower abdomen and I get bloated from time to time. Ive been drinking lots of fluids and increased my fiber intake. 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Try also a stool softener like Colace. I take three a day. Take the Miralax to get things moving then ween yourself. I also use an insulin based finer product called FibreRific that is preferable to Metamucil for me. Golden Flax Seed (milled) works well and you can add a tablespoon to cereal like BranBuds or bake with it. Good luck.
  • Edited

Hello.. So trust me, I've been there plenty. Definitely what saved me literally in the long run was Miralax, but Miralax can sometimes take a few days to work but I'd still definitely take it if I were you. It's not going to hurt that's for sure, even if you take something else. But you also need to get the hardened stool out. Now in my case, mine was so bad, I was admitted to the hospital twice within one week and it took 2 milk of molaSses enemas to flush all of it out of me. Worked wonders, as painful as it was all coming out, it was the quickest solution that's for sure. But after that, I've been on Miralax twice a day and it works wonders for me. I don't think I'll ever stop taking it. But what I'd tell you is if you're up for it, try an enema yourself at home, it should flush it right out, And help lube/soften it up, or theres also suppositories too. It really doesn't hurt, just uncomfortable of course and may seem gross but it's worth it if you are as bad as I was. But if you can't do those, there's many different laxatives you can use that work pretty quick. Usually overnight. Enemas work usually within minutes for most. You'll feel a whole lot better, I hated being uncomfortable like that. This is all coming from my experience though, so it all depends what your preference is. But always keep drinking lots and lots of water. It really does help. I hope you find a solution that works for you, good luck! Hope I was of some help to you.

• Posted

Thank you for your experience and response! In your opinion do you think the miralax will work to soften the harder stool up? I've take triples doses twice today now because I couldn't take it much longer. I had one bowel movement so far and got a bigger harder piece to come out. Wondering if that will continue to happen if I continue taking miralax 

• Posted

Well its good that there is movement. Trust me, I know how uncomfortable and painful it can be to go. I will try not to go into too much detail but I've been in situations where I'm in so much pain, sweating, shaking, just doing honest to god whatever I can to get it out of me because they were just way too big and hard to come out easily on their own. In my experience, even when I'd be really backed up, I'd just take only Miralax for a couple of days and wait, and it definitely would help it come out, it definitely helped soften the hardened stool up, but I'd sometimes take a stool softener or something else with in just incase. Mine was just so bad I don't think anything would of made it too much softer. If you've already had movement, the Miralax will definitely help and once you can get the hardened stools out, after that it should be smooth sailin, especially if you continue the Miralax. That's how it worked for me anyways. Only thing with Miralax like I said is most people will say it just takes a little longer and would probably recommend a more stimulant laxative. I, on the other hand, never really liked the idea of taking a laxative that's just going to force a huge hard stool out. But when I was in the hospital and I did the enema, that was probaby the best way it lubed and softened it up along with pretty much expelling almost everything in me. But keep taking the Miralax, I love it. It definitely will make it easier for your stool to come out. Keep drinking water though or else it won't really do much to soften what's there. I'll be honest, depending how hard your stool already is, in my experience at least, it probably won't turn it into complete mush or anything like that, but when I've taken it, it's definitely just helped it to at least come out much easier, soften it up and just make it to where I'm not sitting there screaming for hours trying to get it out. 😣😣 but Once it did though, after that, should definitely be much softer, if not, like mush, lol. Sorry if this is tmi. I hope you feel better !

• Edited

TMI or not, that is so relatable with the sweating and the shaking legs when I squat to even attempt at pooping as well as my skin temporarily turning red from the pressure and friction.

btw: I just imagined me screaming for a long time taking a big one (and I don't like it)  

• Posted

I just want to say I learned from someone on this forum to take the Miralax in coffee.  I do that every morning and get amazingly normal results.  It's tasteless.  I guess you can put it in any liquid.

• Posted

Thank you guys for such great responses! Little update on me, I've been able to have small BM. Only loose watery Stools though. I can still feel the big stool left in me that just won't come out!!! Anyways I'm wondering does Miralax work for Stools that are already in you that are hard? I bought an enema today... I'd rather not use it. I'm not at the point I am, but I'm still very bloated and certain movements cause me discomfort. Thanks! 

• Posted

Personally I think it does help with the stools that are already hard. It's definitely helped me that's for sure. Like I said before though, it may not be the quickest results, but for me Miralax has does wonders, and with helping to soften the stool that's already in there. But with experience, I know how horrible it can be, believe me, but your main goal is just to get it out. Don't put it off, that was my mistake and I regret it still. It takes such a toll, and people take going normally for granted lol. But with the enema, like I said, when I was in the hosputal, as painfully big and hard my stools were, the enema made them all glide right out. Yes it was painful but it happened so fast, well for me I had a lottt in me so it took awhile but when I look back, I would definitely do it again if I was in that situation. You may not be as bad as I was though, so take care of it now. Just grit your teeth and gain some courage to just go as soon as you feel you're able . The Miralax will for sure help! Even if you're going a little, to me, that's progress!

• Posted

Oh trust me, I know, it's the worst! I wouldn't even be on the forums if it weren't for me going through that pain, and wanting to try my best to help others going through it. I know how horrible and hard it can be to even try and want to go. I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

• Posted

I am getting lots and lots of soft stool to come out but once again no hard stool! Hoping the miralax kicks in today as this is day 3. 
    • Posted

One more thing, I don't really have any bad urges to go to the bathroom. After reading more on chronic constipation and hard stools it seems like I should have more of an urge. I don't get it

• Posted

Take the Miralax it just draws water to the bowel making it soft so you can pass it.
    • Posted

How long should it take to work?? This will be day 4 of taking it tomorrow I'm beginning to get more uncomfortable 

• Posted

Well with me, I thought I would of got more of an urge too but I was surprised. I rarely ever did in my case. Until it seemed like it was even worse. I never ever get normal urges when I'm constipated. And for me, I'd take the Miralax for 3+ days, and sometimes wouldn't really even have a movement til the 5th or even 6th day. Again I was really backed up already. I know it sounds crazy but this is all just from personal experience. I've been in this situation m a lot. & i remember you saying you had went a lot but nothing hard yet, do you absolutely feel that there is something bigger and harder there? I know tmi but I only ask to try and help , lol

• Posted

I can feel it still! This morning after sitting on the pot for well over an hour I had a really big BM. But none of it was the hard stool I can still feel. Maybe it's starting to break up a bit and it's loose now. Because this was a big BM but I still don't feel right. 

• Posted

Yeah there's been times I've went before and it took a few trips of it breaking up to get it all out. So I hope you feel better soon and hopefully the Miralax is helping a little bit! But I'd suggest if you continue to keep going but still feel that way, maybe try to see a doctor or something to see what they say. Sometimes you can also have an impacted stool, that's what I had and you can still be able to go but normally it's just loose stool that's going around the impacted stool. But each case could be different. I'm definitely no doctor but I do wish you the best of luck and hope I could be of some help to you!

• Posted

anyway I can just drink a lot of the miralax the discomfort is getting worse 
    • Posted

Okay, i sure hope this stuff works. Day 4 tomorrow. I've been taking 3-4 doses the last 3 days. My stomach is always rumbling but all that ever comes out is soft diarrhea. TMI I know... I am sorry

• Posted

If you don't get any better in another day go to the Doctor, you could have a impacted stool, hope you are better by morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.