Hardly any bowel movement after acute pancreatitis diagnosis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Overnight on Tuesday, I was experiencing pain in my abdominal area like I never experienced before.  Early Wed I decided to go to the emergency room where I was diagnosed with pancreatitis.  The ER doc order that I be kept overnight.  All day Wed and half of Thursday I was not allowed to eat or drink anything at all.  Instead I was given fluids via IV.

Now to back track a bit, the last full meal I had was around 7PM Tue, about two hours before the attack.  I had a bowel movement around 6:30AM, just before I went to the ER.

Around noon on Thur the Dr. decided to try giving me some liquid and soft foods to see how I responded.  It consisted of Tomato soup, frozen desssert (fake ice cream) and apple juice.

After a couple hours or so when I told the Dr. I was experiencing no noticeable increase in pain, she decided to try me on more solid foods and was given a turkey and cheese on white bread sandwich.  Again, in this case I didn't experience any increase in symptom.  I ended up being discharged early that evening.  Since I've been home I've been trying to eat small and lighter meals, even skipping meals on occasion.  Examples of what I've been eating include eggs, smoothie made of non fat milk, banana, and blueberries, sorbet, one slice whole wheat toast.

My concern is that I hadn't had any significant bowel movement since the one on wed morning.  The only movement I had was yesterday (friday) afternoon.  I had to really strain to get it out and it was most broken pieces. 

The thing is, is that I don't even have a feeling like I want to go.  I do pass gas occasionally.

Normally, I average one or two movements a day without issue.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would not fret at the moment. Increase your fluid intake and maybe try some Miralax. I would only worry if you develop abdominal pain. Pancreatitis throws your whole body out of whack. Plus, you are not eating your normal diet, so I wouldn’t expect you to be on your usual bowel movement schedule. 

I’ve been hospitalized twice for Pancreatitis with a total of two weeks in the hospital and a gallbladder removal surgery to boot. Been there. Done that.

Hope you feel better.

• Posted

If they gave you pain medication then you may become constipated from it. Your body is out of whack and it’ll take time to get back to normal. 
    • Posted

Thanks.  I know that they did give my a dose of morphine when I was first in the ER. I'm not sure if they gave me anymore pain meds after that, though I did receive a few injections and pills during my stay.

• Posted

This is what I experienced after too.  I’m presuming it’s normal.  

I’d increase your fruit intake and fluids to try and help.  Unfortunately pancreatitis messes the digestive system up loads 

I’m still not going to the toilet the same anymore and have trouble with excess wind and bloating 

Try buscapan too it helps 

• Posted

Miralax.  Your body may never be what was normal for you before.  I have not been the same since Oct of last year. If I take Miralax everyday it helps.  If I slack off I’m constipated. 

Hand in there.  

• Posted

Try adding a sprinkle of linseeds onto your breakfast cereals or into soup and drink plenty of water,

Syrup of Figs can provide a fairly speedy relief if necessary.

I am not medically trained but wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.