Hardware Concerns

Posted , 3 users are following.

in November 2016, I had to have a failed artifical ankle replacement removed. I then had a TTC arhtodesis w/ femoral head allograft. Basically, they used a femur head to replace the hole where my ankle should have been and fixated the foot and ankle with a rod, screws etc. Anyway, now i am unable to weight-bear because it feels as though the rod is poking out of the bottom of my foot, you can literally feel the hardware by touch. I also, have a screw coming out of the back of my heel. Has anybody out there experienced this?? I need advice. Thank you.

P.S.- I also feel like i have shin splints, it's almost as though i'm stepping on the rod and it's pulling the rod away from my shin...it is all very painful and very depressing.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Time to ask your surgeon for answers I would think!

Hope you get some good answers and relief from the pain

Best wishes Richard

• Posted

You need to see your surgeon and get an x-ray.

Best of luck to you. These injuries can be very disheartening.

I try to be cheerful but when my hubby did some gardening yesterday and I got all tangled up in the house, I just let the curse words fly. I couldn't believe what was coming out of me.

I felt so much better. Then...onward and upward.

Really hoping things go well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.