Hardware failure in back surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I found out this week that my double fusion (L4-L5, L-5-S-1)

He said my case only happens about once a year for him. I don't understand all of it, my bones didn't grow around the bolts or something, honestly I was in shock.

I guess I need an emergency surgery, well 2 of them one from the front one from the back. Starting at L4 this time, cage, etc.

I knew it was not right, my pain management doctor didn't believe me. Every time I asked a question he told me I was challenging him, instead of looking at my newest CT scan he pushed my leg up by my head, making me see spots, throw up, and almost faint, then walked out.

Surgery may not happen for a month, I'll need care after, and I'm afraid of my doctor now, I'm also afraid of even more pain. What he had me on now does little, but it is like he is a gatekeeper.

Has anyone been through something like this?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

OMG you need to get a second/third opinion, what ever it takes until you feel confident to go through another surgery. You do not have to go with this doctor.

I need another surgery similar to you, but I have no confidence with my current neur because he said it's wear and tear and I knew it was more than that so I went to a new doc who said I had no fusion and now I need a revision, I'm scared but confident I'll get better results with my new doc, let me know how you get on 😊

• Posted

I’ve had the same two ops as yourself. I’m waiting to see my surgeon again as my pain has returned. At the last check-up all was well apart from numbness in my left leg, pain in lower back was greatly reduced but movement was restricted. That has now changed and extension of any sort is causing extreme pain again. I have osteoarthritis at work as well so it may be another level that’s causing the pain or the SI joints. Time will tell. 

I hope you get your matter resolved. I don’t understand why your surgeon is acting in the way he is! Is he possibly so arrogant that he believes this shouldn’t happen when he operates???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.