Hardware Has Been Removed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well, I have got my plate with 10 screws removed and the last screw in my ankle removed! My surgeon did not prepare me for the pain or issues I'd have... I am back walking on a walker(i suck at crutches) because I can't stand(literally) baring even close to full weight. I have staples in a 6 inch incision on one side and a 2 inch incision stitched up on the other side. I have started a new job about a month ago and am a bit scared they may use this against me. Gave them a good two week notice on the surgery, however I took off what was recommended from the surgeon's assistant... Two to three days. Surgery was Tuesday and I was to be back Friday and work the next three days, which I have already had to call in for. Is this normal? When should I have actually went back? Any suggestions ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Just a little more information **

Staples and stitches won't come out until the 25th... My job is standing 7-9 hours at a time, with two 15's and one 30.  Any suggestions on what to say to my employer?

• Posted

I thought that my screws and plates would stay in permanently. I had just started a job and only worked 2 days before I broke my ankle. In my case I was "let go", but told they would take me back as soon as I am able.

• Posted

OMG sounds as if you have gone through the mill. Just the thought of going in for another operation makes me feel sick. Having to start all over again chills me. Im 5 1/2 mths down the line. Cant walk without this bad limp swelling and pain.  I really dont know how your coping having to go back into work and having to stand for hours just 3 days after surgery. Just dont sound right to me. There would be no way I could of done it, remembering how I was 3 dasy after my surgery. I so feel for you. Problem im thinking you may have is not giving it enough time to of healed well. But you would think your surgeon would know that?  I hope your not in too much pain/discomfort. At 60 im so glad i dont have to go to work, .... 5 1/2 mths in, feel i couldnt do it now even if i had to due to the pain...no way. I wish you well.  sx
    • Posted

Sandra

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I'm 54 and my active lifestyle has come to a halt.  I fell 19' two years ago 9/25.  I've had three surgeries including hardware and two bone grafts.  Post traumatic arthritis is so severe that there are many days I can't walk even with pain meds.  I've decided to have one more surgery, a transtibial amputation. My next course of"repair" would have been a fusion and a nerve stimulator with no guarantees of the pain being gone.  I've endured far more pain than a person should.  

Once I'm fitted and used to the prosthesis, I get my life back.  It's not for everybody, but worth thinking about. 

• Posted

OMG no way. You must really be going through it, your life must be compleat hell. Amputation!!! No way could I go through that. Your pain must be hurendus. And to of mastered on for 2yrs. I'm no where near as bad as that. Although my pain/ swelling and discomfort gets me dwn I'm now where near your BIGGEST decision. I wish you all the best in your decisions and recovery. Sx

• Posted

Bless your heart Phil! I was just reading your story and my god you are a strong person! I give you so much respect for the decisions you are making for yourself and I can't imagine the amount of pain you've been in! I pray the angels cover you with comfort and the creator guide you on your healing journey! The body is a mighty  machine but our spirit is also something quite amazing! 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

• Posted

Thank you Diane!  Your kind and encouraging words couldn't have come at a better time.  I've had a tough day second guessing my decision and being down.   

• Posted

Same here Phil. These down days are hard. You have a BIG decision to make but please take your time making it. I said many a time these past few mths if I could get this bloody foot cut off I would. But to actually be at the stage where you feel you have no where also to go must be so so hard. This is one hell of a journey and I wish you well. Hugs coming your way. Sx
    • Posted

I know this is very difficult for all of us but please take your time in making my your decisions for yourself. Ask your angels to guide you. Trust how you feel deep within yourself and know that anything you decide you will work through! You have already survived this so you will be a victor in the rest! Remember you survived that fall! It was for a reason. We are all learning many lessons through our journeys and I only pray for peace, love and light for all of us! Take care Phil!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.