Hardware removal???

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had ORIF surgery and had a screw placed in my ankle to fix my nonunion. Surgeon at the time told me my screw was permanent. My question is.. if the screw causing me pain, when normally walking or after jogging like today at work, will they remove the screw from my ankle or not?

Has anyone had this before? Thanks for your help in advance!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matthew!  I personally have not had my hardware removed, but a friend of mine did.  She had the same issue with the screw causing her pain, and the doctor removed all the hardware.  He told her it’s common.  It’s been about 2 years now and she has done fine.  Hope this helps.  
  • Posted

Yes, of course they’ll remove any hardware if it’s causing discomfort. They won’t just let you limp around indefinitely. :p
  • Posted

I had one screw removed that was dislodged shirtly after surgery. At anout 3 months. Recovery still going as plannex x
  • Posted

I kinda figured they would remove the hardware lol.

I was not totally sure,as my surgery has been over 15 months ago now. Glad to hear that people have had success with hardware removal though!

• Posted

I had the crew, 4 pins, and the screw removed 4 weeks ago and it’s is like night and day. Best decision ever. Now I just am having trouble with the “dissolving” sutures. I recommend removing it. You’ll likely be glad you did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.