Hardware Removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 7 months post op and scheduled to have my hardware removed.  Can anyone share their experience with this?  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Interested in any replies you get to this enquiry too Linda. I am serously considering having my hardware removed when the appropriate time comes so any information will be welcome. Good luck.
    • Posted

How far along are you Diane?  Are you still in pain?  I'm hoping removing it will give me more range of motion and eliminate some pain.  In some ways it's hard to have surgery because I feel like I'm getting around more normal.  I still have some problems going down the stairs and down a hill making it hard to hike.  Plus, I'm a wimp.  
    • Posted

I am 11 weeks so far. Walking without a boot. I fractured my fibula and tore ligaments so have a plate, 8 screws and something I cant remember the name of which pulls everything back into alignment (like a rope through from one side to the other). My leg is really tired, range of motion is improving and am able to wear some shoes (sneakers). I can feel the plate from outside and it is uncomfortable when I turn my ankle out. I need to wait until the 6 month point before my surgeon will consider removal, and then only if the hardware is really annoying me or interfering with my movement. I think the biggest thing is all the other muscles that have done nothing for 8 weeks of immobilisation. My whole leg aches after moving around a bit. That will improve as the muscles build up again.
  • Posted

I'm 11 weeks post surgery and almost 2 weeks, Wednesday, walking with a boot. I had a fibula break repair with a plate and six screws (and a deltoid ligament tear that had to be repaired also).

My orthopedist has not mentioned anything about needing another surgery for removal of hardware. I have, at this point, had no issues.

• Posted

Hi linda

i broke my ankle on New Year's Eve/day and am now 4 months in.  My consultant has scheduled me to have two screws fastening fib and Tib together removed next Tuesday by local anaesthetic.   I am concerned for two reasons 1  after reading other people's experiences it seems early to be removing screws and 2 I am going on holiday four weeks after and am worried that I won't be able to walk as well as I can now.  Wondering if I should wait until after holiday? But then again if screws break he won't remove them.  Catch 22.   Can anyone give me any advice please.  

• Posted

Hi Mary,

It  minor if they can remove via local.  If they won't remove it, if they break and there's a chance of that, I would get them out.  I know exactly  how you feel to go backwards for a few days.  I think my hardware can stay in forever, so you are in a different situation.  I am going to have it out because I think it causes me pain.  My doctor said I would have to wear the boot for 2 weeks, but that may not be your plight.  Good luck!  Let us know how it goes if you have it done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.