Hardware removal

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone has gotten their hardware taken out of a broken ankle? If so how was the recovery afterwards?  Did it help with less pain and more flexibility ? I’m wondering in case I decide to have mine removed. I can currently feel the hardware and it causes a lot of pain and also is limiting my range and motion. Thanks for any help! 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane,

I am recovering from an ORIF broken fibula, dislocated ankle and torn ligaments, injury date was July 13th.

I had a plate and eight screws in my leg and most recently (Sept. 27) had the two largest screws removed.

I'm only just getting started really being able to move my ankle and regaining my range of motion but have found that having the two screws removed has been beneficial.  However, time will tell.

There are lots of wonderful folks on this site that will probably have more to offer than I do at this point.

I wish you a speedy recovery and whatever decision you ultimately make -- is the best one!

Take care,

Deb

• Posted

Thanks Deb! I’m glad things are going well for you! I’m not looking forward to another surgery but I think removing the hardware will help. I have to wait until after the first of the year because he wants to be sure all is fused together. My last appointment one Bone was still not fused completely. Thanks for your advice! 
  • Posted

Hi Diane,

I had an ankle fusion in January and had the screws removed in late April, I have no pain since the screws were removed, not sure about flexibility. Fusion is different. However, it was the worst pain after the operation and my ankle and leg were black and blue. I think the surgeon left the screws in  too long and so the bone had grown over the screws. He said it took him an hour instead of 10 minutes. Hope this helps it was day surgery.

• Posted

Wow! My surgery was April and my surgeon wants to wait to remove hardware until after the first of the year. My bone isn’t fused all the way yet as of last appointment so he wants to give it more time. I can definitely feel the metal and it’s causing pain so I’m really considering taking it out! Good luck with everything and thanks for your input! 
  • Posted

I had surgery June 23 and my dr wants to wait

Until Feb to see if it's for sure the screw agitating my tendons. 

• Posted

I’m seeing my surgeon Wednesday so I’m going to discuss it all with him. I’m hoping the removal will help me in the end. I know he won’t do anything until everything is completely healed. Good luck with everything and I hope for complete recovery for you! 🙏🏼🙏🏼

• Posted

Hi Diane,

I had a trimalleolar fracture to my right ankle in April 2016. I've just had the plates and screws removed last week (due to recurring infections) the docs said I had to wait at least a year to ensure the bones had healed sufficiently.

So far so good tbh, I was in and out of hospital in a day, and sent home with painkillers but was told I could weight bear straight away, although rest up and elevate where poss.

There's not much pain, just a bit tender around the incision and although it's early days, I do feel like the flexibility has improved already.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead 

• Posted

Thank you so much for that info! I see my surgeon Wednesday so I’m going to discuss it all in detail with him.  I have no problem waiting for the removal of it all because like you my surgeon wants everything completely healed. I do hope it helps my flexibility because my walking stride is horrible right now and I’m always hurting. I’m so glad to hear such positive news from you though! Thanks for that!! I hope all improves for you as well! 🙏🏼🙏🏼

• Posted

Not sure if you’re still on here but I have an appt regarding hardware removal and wondered how you fared now 6mo later. Do you have relief from the removal? Are you active?
    • Posted

Hi, 

The removal has been fine - healed up quickly with no problems. I do feel like there’s more flexibility in the ankle now and I’m active (run 3 times a week, walk, drive no problems) TBH, it still doesn’t feel like my ‘normal’ ankle, I do still have some stiffness (mainly after kneeling or sitting on my haunches if I’m playing with the kids) but overall it’s been a positive experience - my hardware removal was due to recurrent infection in the metalwork so it has solved that problem completely. Good luck if you decide to go ahead x 

• Posted

That’s what I was hoping to hear. Right now I can run about once a week comfortably. I know it’ll never be the same but I gladly welcome anything better. I work nights at the hospital and over slept my appt today. (so so so mad, lol)  TBC
    • Posted

Finally came across someone who had reoccurring infections. I had MRSA less than a month after my surgery. A place and 6 screws and the infection will not clear up. I was just wondering your symptoms and how long was it before you had your hardware removed.

Thank you for your time.

Andrene

• Posted

Im curious if you got this done, i shattered my tib and fib they put in 13 screws and 3 plates just over three years ago. surgeon said it was top 5% of worst injuries. I had the screws and plates removed 10 days ago and am ok. I do have this constant light pain almost like arthritis, im hoping its temporary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.