Hardware Removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone had plates and screws removed from ankle ?  What is the recovery like and how long is it?  

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had plate and screws removed in October this year due to recurring infections in the metal - I was weight bearing straight away, although advised to rest and elevate when possible. I had a wound check 10 days later and all was healing no fine so I’ve just been carrying on as normal since then.

I’m still a bit achy after sitting still for a long time or kneeling on it but overall I think my flexibility is a lot better.

It’s been a very positive experience for me - good luck if you go ahead with it.

• Posted

Happy to hear you said it was positive experience, hopefully I would get that feeling completely someday after recoverysmile I got both bones fracture of Tibia and Fibula and also involved ankle, now still be in hospital after 2 wks of surgery for plates and screws. At least 2more wks to go for waiting before weight bearing on my right leg. Now feeilng better and quite get used to it anyway not many things I can do compare to normal life before. But it's just temporary right? So I'll keep waiting for that day I can do everything again. What was your fracture and how long after your accident? How is it now? Can you walk completely the same now? I think I need to admit and change my favorite activity running to swimming instead. 

• Posted

Hi Aiir,

I had a trimalleolar fracture to my right ankle in April 16 when I fell whilst doing an obstacle run. I had surgery the next day but was non weight bearing for 3 months as the incisions wouldn’t heal, once it finally did I suffered from recurring infections in the metal. I was back to ‘normal’ activity by the August, but achy and sore still. I’m also a runner and did try to get back to it for a while, but I think I’ve lost my confidence a bit so I too have switched to swimming. 

Now I would say that its as normal as possible - I can walk fine, including long distances, I can wear normal shoes (although I haven’t tried heels yet) swimming feels fine (a bit achy after all the kicking though) the only time I really notice is when I’ve been kneeling and have to get up.

I’m going to try running again in the spring! 

Good luck with your recovery  - it is all only temporary although being NWB is so frustrating! 

• Posted

I had my screws removed in April, the worst part was the pain afterwards because the bone had grown over the screws. My leg was black and blue afterwards. However, since having them removed my life has become a lot less painful, it appears that the screws were actually holding me back from being able to do heaps of stuff. I am still a little stiff in the mornings however everything seems ok I do keep swelling up in the afternoon. 
  • Posted

I had mine removed a few years ago thinking maybe that was the cause of a lot of my pain. Removal is an easy op done in day surgery. You are able to walk afterwards. The op didn't make the slightest difference for me though..

• Posted

I have one screw “coming thru the skin” on outside ankle and my inside ankle is very painful still.  I meet with the dr Wednesday.  Thank you for your replies!  
  • Posted

I have also just asked this exact question! I’m about to have mine removed in just under three weeks and would be great to have an idea. Are you scheduled to have yours removed or just thinking about it?
  • Posted

I’m in the same position, I think I can feel a screw coming through in the inner part of my ankle.

Got a consultant appointment on Wednesday so fingers crossed I’ll have an answer then.

I’m desperate to go back to work as I’ve been off 6mths and I’m going stir crazy now! 

Claire. Xx

• Posted

I am schcheduked December 15th 
    • Posted

That’s good news, how are you feeling about it?

My surgeon won’t take them out till I’m 12mths post op so I’m looking at next May. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.