Hardware removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey. So I am getting a screw removed Monday and I was wondering if they put you under to remove it? My surgery center hasn’t called to set anything up yet. But I know for sure the doc is gonna take a screw out.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm having my screw removed on 26th April and consultant said it would be done under a local anaesthetic as it is only a 5 minute job.

• Posted

Really? I was gonna hoping to be put out. Oh well. Hopefully I can get some anti-anxiety meds on board. My main concern is that I’ll have a panic attack during the  procedure . But atleast it only takes five minutes. Did you get told anything else? Do the just numb you or do you know if they use a nerve block?
    • Posted

I have just undergone an operation for removal of implants in my ankle on 01 April 18. It was like miracle, I started walking just after 3 days of operation. The operation was very simple. It done by nerve block and took about twenty minutes. I got relief after the operation. I suggest everybody to get your hardware removed after one year after consultation with the doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Sally, I'd like to know about your screw removal as I will have the same done in May. Fingers crossed for 26th.

• Posted

I was only told that they will only remove the long syndesmosis screw and it will be a small incision in my existing scar, they locate the screw head and basically unscrew it.  I will have a local and she said I won't feel anything. Will have a couple of stitches and a small bandage.  Should be home the same day and up and about quickly.  Will post back when I've had it done.

• Posted

Good luck. Please let me know how you get on after the screw removal. The same awaits me a few weeks from now.
    • Posted

Alrighty. So I got home about an hour ago. It was a very simple surgery. My doctor did have me put under. Since it was such a quick surgery. I was able to wake up a lot better and I was tired but not as bad as last time. My doctor let me walk right away as he did NOT do a nerve block. All in all, it went very well. I wish you luck on your upcoming surgery.
  • Posted

I had my screw removal surgery on Thursday.  I went in at 7am and was back home by 11am.  Had local anaesthetic and the injection to put it in was the worst bit but even that was bearable.  The surgery itself was less than half hour.  A small incision to locate screw head and closed with a couple of stitches which will be removed in 2 weeks time. I was able to put weight on it straight away. Slight pain managed with some paracetamol on first day but felt normal next day. Have been walking round the house in normal shoes which I haven't done since mid December.   

• Posted

Hi Sally, thanks, glad it went well and relatively fast and not much pain.. Encouraging. Good luck with further recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.