Hardware removal from ankle

Posted , 7 users are following.

i broke my tibia and displaced my ankle last October. I had a metal plate and 7 screws placed. Since then I've have trouble walking and pain where the metal has been placed. The surgeon recommend I get the metal removed. Can anyone who has had it removed tell me how long recovery time is after? I was off work for 6 weeks with the initial surgery. how long will I be off work this time? And also did the removal help?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi Sarah I had a similar injury to you, and I got my surgery and pins and metal plate 2 years ago, I like you also had pain with my metal work. I got my metal work took out this June and i was off work for 4 weeks the operation itself is quick and easy but people heal differently would have been roughly 2-3 weeks healing time!

• Posted

And the removal has certainly helped me I can even wear ankle boots again which i couldnt before as the metal work was uncomfortable!

• Posted

hi, my son broke his fibia and tibia 14 years ago went from bolts and screws to having two fusions to having a replacement ankle two years ago and believe it or not he is still in pain. so sorry to hear about your pain, it breaks my heart when i see my son coping with his.

• Posted

Hi, i was told by my orthopedic surgeon that as I have no cartilage in my talus and arthritis in the ankle I can have either a fusion or ankle replacement in the next few years, when the pain becomes unbearable to live with so I can understand how you and your son must be feeling. All this from a little trip up 2 stairs 😬

• Posted

HI Bailey12, Yes i know what you mean you wouldn't think you could do so much damage with a small trip......my son fell off the third rung of a ladder. It was the way he fell. I feel he needs to have the ankle replaced again because surely there must be a way to stop the pain, i think he has arthritis in it as well. How old are you if you dont mind me asking, my son is 42.

• Posted

Hi

I'll be 53 later this year. I've been struggling with it for the past 4 years. The bones healed but I've never recovered full range of movement despite loads of physiotherapy. They told me 2 years ago that I had arthritis and would need fusion or replacement within 5 years. I'm constantly in pain and taking tramadol and naproxen during the day and amitrippline at night. It just seems never ending. I hope your son gets rid of the pain soon.

• Posted

hi, yes he was also on those tablets , is still on tablets I believe he is one of the youngest to have an ankle replacement. Apparently they don't like doing it under 60 years old because they don't last as long as a hip replacement , they said it would need replacing again after approx. 5 years. As you say its the pain, he says that he has to sit on the bed for quite a while in the morning before getting out cos he then has to motivate himself to get his foot going as it seems to be stiff after resting. Will keep you posted. x

• Posted

My orthopedic surgeon said the same about the age thing but he said that doesn't mean i can't have one. He retires in 2 years and I'd really like him to do the surgery. He has left my referral open so I don't need to go through my gp if I need to see him again i can just phone for an appointment. Definitely takes me a bit of time to get ankle moving when I've been resting or off my feet for a while. Physio also told me yesterday that most of my footwear give no support as I usually wear uggs, converse and flip-flops so going to dig out some trainers and try them.

• Posted

hi, yes my son wears trainers, he says these are best , when he wore flip-flops on holiday he was in agony.

• Posted

Im 8 weeks post op from broken ankle with screws and another long screw threw back of my ankle from one side to other to stabilize

my doctor said last week i could have the stabilizing screw removed.

I just started FWB in boot last week up until i started walking i had no pain now i have pain but figure that is normal seeing i havent walked n 7 weeks

but today its extra sore so Im going to start using it less I START PT tomorrow

This is worst injury ive ever had not used to not walking and im have very busy life

I FEEL for everyone going through this I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy

• Edited

HI,

i had a very bad trimalleor break with 2 plates and 14 pins in april of 2018. i also had pain and limited range of motion so in december 2018, i had them removed...best decision ever. after a few days of really taking it easy, i was allowed to weight bear as tolerated using crutches then a cane. i was also in a walking boot. after 3 weeks, I returned to work . the pain was not bad at all and after about 6 weeks i was out of the boot and walking well. Good luck to you

• Posted

Hi

I broke tib and fib just over 4 years ago, had 2 plates and 9 pins in right ankle. Had all but 2 pins removed a year later and was off work 3 weeks. I was just over 5 months after ORIF. A few months ago I had a bone spur removed and ankle tidied up and was back at work in 3 weeks. Unfortunately I now have arthritis and can look forward to either a fusion or ankle replacement in the next few years.

• Posted

I Started PT today I had my doubts about how effective it would be but quite pleased with my therapy plan

My hope is that in 6 weeks I will be walking with no boot, no crutches

The pain may last longer but i can deal with that

I finally see light at end of tunnel

I do have concern that no one addresses the mental part of this injury After surgery you park your butt on the couch and deal with it

Cut off from day to day activity is difficult

My first two weeks after surgery I was on house arrest Couldn't do much of anything

i went into deep depression which is not my personality at all.

More needs to be done to address the mental aspect of this injury.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.