Hardware removal from ankle

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im supposed to have a long screw removed from back of my ankle soon

When first explained to me it sounded like an easy procedure but in last few days from whst Im hearing sounds more involved than I first thought

Has anyone had hardware removed and if so was it complicated

Im doing well walking and getting back to normal and fear going backwards

pre-op called said I needed boot for 2 weeks plus crutches for few days

With holidays fast approaching and family coming here Im thinking I should wait until January

Thoughts????

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello. It's never a good time. I've been going back and forth and postponed my surgery several times to have my hardware removed. I have my surgery Nov. 21. I was like it's the holidays this and that. I felt everything you said. Good luck

• Posted

Heyyyyy, I "feel ya"

I have debated about that very screw! It bugs me. Yet, I also think that although it is literally a pain, I am somewhat comforted in knowing it is there since that is where my whole ankle went sideways, breaking etc. I had my ORIF almost 6 mos ago.

Those of you who have had this screw removed, are you still happy with your decision or regret? I am in my late 60's so I prolly err on the side of "safety" vs comfort. Shootz!!! As my Internist told me.... "you have got so much hardware in that ankle, you don't ever have to worry about breaking it again.

• Posted

diana

I was all for getting screw out

Then everytime I heard another person from doctor tell me different things I began to get nervous about getting tied up AGAIN!

So after the holidays I have nothing going on and if I have to sit around for a few days then I can handle it

• Posted

i had the long screw removed under local anaesthetic . Although i was very nervous I didn't feel anything . 2 stitches only . had this done before i was weight bearing which was 12 weeks after my orif cant remember how may weeks . please don't worry

• Posted

yes the screw removal made no difference as i still had the plates and other screws still in

• Posted

Thanks

I ended up having to reschedule to January cause I got sick (respiratory) and had to postpone

Just as well cause now I can get through holidays

• Posted

i have two plates and nine screws. broke my ankle june 23rd had my surgery june 29 2018. im still having issues. pain issues. i dont take anything for pain. i have considered having all of my hardware removed. i just keep going back to pt. some days are better then other i will be 69 feb 2020. i had always been very active still trying to be but its very difficult

• Posted

dora

My Fracture was 7/5, surgery 7/11

Im back working and walking

Once in awhile ankle feels weird but no swelling, no pain

Im just extra careful now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.